Ok guys. This is it. Tomorrow at exactly 8:40 am Pacific Standard Time I will be taking off to complete my first 3.75 mile race. I’m nervous, excited, proud, scared. So many emotions.
Exactly 18 weeks ago from this Monday I decided I wanted to get in shape. Cardio was going to be my sport of choice simply because I didn’t have the money for a gym membership and my dog would benefit as well.
I started jogging short distances at first. Three weeks after my start, Thanksgiving, I ran with Kellen at a local high school track. I was proud to say that day I completed 3/4 of a mile.
On December 2nd I ran my whole first mile. I was ecstatic. I remember on the ride home, I kept thinking about who I could call to celebrate with me. I called my mom and posted in here on my blog. I was so excited. That day someone who had completed the C25k commented and told me that if I was going to do the program, I should start at week four since I had already built some endurance.
The next day, I started the program. By Monday I was on Week 4, day 2. I was actually starting to like running (or at least the feeling I had afterwards).
On December 12 I got to take part in my first “race”- the Solstice Run. It was a one mile race. For me, it was tough. I had just gotten used to that distance and the race had quite a bit of an incline, which I wasn’t used to. Nevertheless, I completed it with a time of 11:36.
By December 22, I was finishing week 5 of the program. I remember being so nervous because that 20 minutes straight of running. I did it though, and I think that was the point that I really started to break through my mental block towards running. It got easier from there.
By the end of January I was finishing up week 8 of the program and was running 28 straight minutes. I had made the mistake of measuring my distance while I was running, and was starting to get frustrated at my slow pace. But with the help of my blogger buddies, I decided to push those thoughts aside and finish the program strong.
On February 13, I finally completed the program. I was so excited, so proud of myself, and feeling better than I ever had before.
Since finishing the program, I’ve taken this last month to run for distance- my goal being 3 miles. I’ve completed it about 4 times- my fastest run being a 34:30.
I’m not sure at what point I decided I would do the St. Patty’s Day Dash. It seemed like the perfect timing for me to complete my C25k program, and give a couple of extra weeks for distance training. Plus I figured that running in this race would be such an amazing birthday present to myself.
So….here’s to tomorrow….and a lifetime of a new found passion.
16 comments:
You are going to do awesome today!! :) Running is amazing, I know what my passion is and I am glad you enjoy it as well!
I hope you have/had a great run... I have W8D2 coming up tomorrow probably for me!
Yeah! Rock on!! You give it everything you got so that no matter how it goes you will know you did your best. And you will know that you did a lot more than most people! You are awesome and an inspiration and motivation!
Nicole you are so awesome- seriously, what an inspiration! It's so cool to see how you've improved over time- you have A LOT to be proud of! You will do so great tomorrow- when you are at the starting line just remember that you have 93 buddies that are cheering you on! Forget about the time- just finish!
You rock sister! ;)
you rcok it out for all of us
YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!! You have so much to be proud of. You go girlie!!!
you will do GREAT!
When you are out there running.... just remember you have the support of us behind you... cheering you along every step of the way!!!
Way to go...and have fun too!!!
Proud of you!
Wow, sooo impressive!
Great Post! Good luck!
You will do great!! Have fun! :)
So proud of you! I'm deathly afraid of running! Let us know how it goes!
What an inspiring story of success. Tommorrow will be another chapter to the happy story I think.
You will do great!
I'm too excited to find out how it goes :)
Hope everything went well!!!
Oh my gosh, i am so excited for you! Loved reading this post about your progression! You'll do great today - actually - you probably already DID... since it's noon now! :) Can't wait to hear all about it! So happy for you! Congratulatory HUG!
Post a Comment