Yes, that's right folks, today I completed C25k week 9, day three.
C25k....completed....BOO YAH!
Here I am after today's run:
Yes, I get REALLY pink when I work out!And my trusty running buddy:
She's been sleeping ever since :)Oh man, you don't even know how excited I am that I finished the program. I am now running a STRONG 30 minutes straight (the program is based on time, not distance) But mainly I think this is because they assume you will complete 5 kilometers in 30 minutes...well... I'm not quite there yet!
But here's the thing....THAT'S OK! You know why? Because I now know that I CAN and WILL complete 5 kilometers, no matter the time it takes me. How do I know this? Because I've finally come to realize that running is SO much more a mental game than a physical one.
I'm not suggesting anyone starting out just go out there and try to run 3 miles all by their will power. Of course you need to ease your body into it one run at a time. However, I AM suggesting that once you learn to say no to that little voice in your head that keeps saying things like:
"You can't do this."
"You're too out of shape, give it up."
"You can only make it a couple more seconds, don't try any more."
Whatever that voice may say to you, you CAN learn to control and overcome it. Once you do, each time you run you will know that you can push yourself one more step or one more minute than before.
To celebrate my accomplishment today, I have registered for my first 5k race. It's the St. Patty's Day Dash in Seattle on March 14th. This will hold a special place in my heart, since it just so happens that my birthday is on St. Patty's :) What a great gift to myself, huh?
I have never liked running. And to be completely honest, I don't wake up on my run mornings and think "OH, GOODY! I get to run today!"....I just don't think I will ever be there. But I do know that running has changed my entire life.There is such joy in being proud of what you have accomplished. I hope and pray that you ALL can feel that joy in yourself, whether it be through running, or just choosing to take a step forward today and do something to better yourself.
16 comments:
I just recently started running. Well, let me be honest here. It's more like jogging. But nevertheless, I have started. I can comfortably run only 5 minutes before I start to feel like death may be slowly approaching. teehee... This post is very inspirational to me because I would love to run a 5K by the end of summer. Keep it up!
Nice post Nicole. I'll leave the running to you but I am getting my exercise 5 days a week at the gym - and I don't enjoy it one bit!
Congrats on finishing the program! And also for registering for the race! I am excited to hear how it goes for you. I love running. Now that I have gotten back into, I don't know how I ever went without it. Especially once you start doing races, you will be even more addicted. =)
Good job! You will have so much fun running the 5K. There is something about the atmosphere at a race. I just did one this morning. Next thing you know, you'll be registering for a 10K...just watch ☺ Can't wait to hear all about your 1st 5K!
Congrats!! That is awesome! I never liked running either but now I'm hooked. Sometimes it's hard to get out the door to do it, but I always feel amazing afterward!
I wish I had a dog that would run! I have a Schnauzer, he can do maybe 3/4 of a mile. :)
Congrats! Proud of you! I want to start running when it gets warmer. YIKES.
That is sooo awesome! You are amazing! One day i will be able to do it too! ONE DAY. Seriously, i tried it before & could not do it. Making 1 mile WALKING is all i can do. But i'm 266 pounds. & i was at like 275 when i tried it. And then after the fact i read it on the Couch to 5k website that it's intended for people who are out of shape - whether in a good weight range or overweight - not obese. DUH. I shoulda known i gotta work my way up to that. But i truly can't wait till i do! Way to go to you! That is a HUGE accomplishment! :) :)
That is so great! You are doing an amazing job! Keep up the good work!
CONGRATULATIONS! I did the the C25K program months ago and it was GREAT...however, I gave up on week 4 or 5 and have been kicking myself ever since. I'm looking to start it up again and your accomplishment just gave me the motivation to make the commitment to myself that I will DEFINITELY start it again! Congrats again!! And my birthday is the day after St. Pats, so happy birthday!! :)
-Ava
goodbyefatlife.blogspot.com
Totally freaking awesome!!! I just finished W5D3 and totally surprised myself that in one week I could go from 5 to 8 minute intervals to an entire 20 minute jog. I blogged about the mental side a couple times so far. Sooo true.
Congrats!
Kyle
Getting Better and Better
Yayyyyyy! I'm so excited for you- that is awesome! I'm starting that program in April and I'm sure I'll be needing your insight and encouragement!
What an awesome bday gift to!
I am starting the Couch to 5k on Monday and after reading about someone who completed it, I am so excited! I will keep you posted! Thanks!
That's so awesome, congrats!! I've been thinking about running, but I absolutely can't stand it. It's nice to know that you don't like it that much either but you're having great success with it. Maybe it'll give me more motivation!!
Awesome job!! Congrats on finishing the program! I can't wait to hear how your first race goes! Rooting for you!! :)
i totally agree with the running thing! it is such a headgame for me... sometimes i actually have to audibly say to myself, "YOU CAN DO IT!" to combat those negative thoughts! i call it a "running mantra" lol.. anyways CONGRATS TO YOU for finishing the program! great blog and keep it up! :D
I just finished week one of C25K. Excited about starting week two. Thanks for the encouragement.
Post a Comment