Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

In Need of Your Opinion...and EXCITING NEWS!

I will start with the exciting news since I know you all will just scroll down to see it anyway....I have my 100th follower! Thanks to "Dana Constable" for becoming my 100th follower! And to all my other lovely followers...I love you all!

I NEED YOUR OPINION ON THE FOLLOWING!!

1.
I am going to Trader Joe's this weekend. I'm SO stoked. I have about $50.00 to spend there. What should I get?!?!

2.
(this one takes a little more explaining) I used my Heart Rate Monitor for the first time on my walk/run yesterday. Now here's the thing: I ran/walked about 2.34 miles in about 30 minutes yesterday. Now normally, I have been writing down "300 calories burned" for 30 minutes of straight running- not even walking. Well when I ended my workout yesterday the HRM told me I had burned 500 calories. WOW. I find this hard to believe.

Then, I walked to get the girl I nanny for. The walk to her school is about 1.25 miles. I walked at a brisk pace getting there, and I was surprised to see the HRM said I burn 300 on that walk alone. That just seems way too high. I would normally say that a walk like that would burn 150 calories.

Thoughts? Opinions? Was I underestimating before? Or is my HRM overestimating?

19 comments:

liveLAUGHsing. said...

TRADER JOES!!!! my FAVORITE.. um..i eat EVERYTHING there..nothing specific.. haha but their HUMMUS is yuummmmay! & there bananas are usually super cheap! EEEEEEK.

hmmm.. for your HRM.. when I walk four miles on the treadmill at speed 4.0.. so I end up walking an hour.. it BARELY gets me up to 300 calories..(according to the machine.. ) but whoooo knows!

liveLAUGHsing. said...

yepp..i did some googling and one hour at about 4.0 is about 250-350 calories depending on weight!

Tiffany said...

I think the hrm is overestimating...sorry :( Your calculations are more accurate. Even moving at a brisk pace (13/min mi)walking I usually average about 125 calories on a 2 mi walk. Running burns about 100 cal per mile depending on your weight. Congrats on 100 followers...

Seth said...

Does the HRM have a booklet with it - maybe you have to change some of the settings or something to be most accurate?

Melissa said...

i know nothing of calories burned. I know, i suck. :(

But YAY for Trader Joe's. I have never been & we don't have one here. SO SAD!

Debbie said...

Congrats on your 100th follower! I still only have 5... but better than 0!

I agree that your HRM is definitely overestimating. I assume you had to enter your particulars (weight, height, etc.) when you set it up? I might suggest tweaking your weight a little bit - you could lower it until your HRM starts giving you the readings that you know are closer to accurate. Good luck!

BEE said...

it all has to do with your heart rate and then it calculates your cals off your heart rate
what is your average heart rate

Samantha said...

I also think it's overestimating...I would def. say your calculations sound much more accurate :(

Carrie said...

I used to have a HRM with no chest strap and then when it died I got a Polar HRM with a chest strap. I found that my first one was wayyy overestimating. After some research I found that most people said the same thing because the chest strap gives the watch a more accurate reading of the HR. Sorry!

Lucy said...

O.k. From Trader Joes - their mixed berries combo bag..mmmm so good with greek yogurt (add splenda to the yogurt if you need), top w/granola (also at Trader Joes)..so good! And you've got to try those potato lentil puffs. I also LOVE their wheat pitas (can you say pizzas!!). Stay away from their vanilla sandwich cookies (I don't normally like vanilla sandwich cookies, but T.Joes use real vanilla bean!!!). Never mind - you'd better stay away from them!!

Got no advice for the heart monitor..but, it looks like you've got plenty :) AND congrats on the 100!!! Whoo-Hoo!

Continuous Changes said...

Congrats on 100 followers!!! I am sooo excited for you!!!

I don't have a Trader Joe's, but I read about all sorts of things, I would be the one that walks in there and buys one of everything lol. :)

I've never used a heart rate monitor, so I have no advice :( Sorry.

Dana said...

woop woop!

Jenn said...

Congrats and here to 100 more followers! :) Have a great weekend! The weather is suppose to be up in the 70's!

kimert said...

Yay for 100 followers, I wanna be like you!! ;) lol
I have no idead on the calories burned as I always input mine into SparkPeople and take an average of what it and the machine says. haha

I wish we had TJ's here. But I have friends who love TJs and they love the hummus, which I think was mentioned. I love hummus period so I would say TJs is good.

Sarah said...

I was wanting to get a HRM but know I am unsure. Congrats on the 100 followers!!

As for Trader Joe's I have never been to one but read about it on blogs all the time..

Tricia said...

great job with the running!

Barbara said...

Everyone in blogland talks about Trader Joe's. I'm so sad there is not one in my state, so can't help you there. I wish I could!

I would say your hrm is overestimating. I usually walk/jog 2.5 miles in 40 minutes and my treadmill says it is just over 300 calories.

Tiff said...

Hi friend!

You must know that Trader Joe's is my mother ship. Here are some of my favorite things you should DEF try out:
- TJ's Garlic Hummus
- Pretzel thins (23 for 110 cals!!)
- Luna Bars (Peanut Butter Cookie)
- Naan Bread
- Creamy Tomato Soup

Just to name a few! :)

Carrie said...

if you have a HRM without the chest strap, get rid of it and get one with a chest strap...and even with a chest strap, I've found Polar to be the most reliable and accurate HRM out there. I've tried a few other brands (to save money) and ended up ditching them and went back to the Polar. i workout with my polar everyday. LOVE IT!