On Tuesday I tried to run 3 miles again. I made it about 2.5 and then I had to stop...I felt SO nauseous. I figured it was because I hadn't eaten anything that morning.
Then today I went out to run again. I ate an applesauce right before I left. I only made it about 1/2 a mile and had to stop again- I felt nauseous, but even worse than before!
My race is coming up in two weeks and I really need to figure out what to eat before it! Anyone have any ideas for me??
Last night I came home and literally started throwing ingredients together. I made turkey burgers....and OMG were they yummy!!
I have no recipe for you because like I said I literally just started throwing stuff in a bowl...what I can remember is obviously ground turkey, onions, garlic, mozzarella cheese, worcestershire sauce, onion powder, paprika, and salt. Seriously this was the bomb!! I then grilled it on our George Foreman grill!
Then today I went out to run again. I ate an applesauce right before I left. I only made it about 1/2 a mile and had to stop again- I felt nauseous, but even worse than before!
My race is coming up in two weeks and I really need to figure out what to eat before it! Anyone have any ideas for me??
Last night I came home and literally started throwing ingredients together. I made turkey burgers....and OMG were they yummy!!
I have no recipe for you because like I said I literally just started throwing stuff in a bowl...what I can remember is obviously ground turkey, onions, garlic, mozzarella cheese, worcestershire sauce, onion powder, paprika, and salt. Seriously this was the bomb!! I then grilled it on our George Foreman grill!
16 comments:
I am no expert but I find eating something really lite on race day helps me and then i make up for it after i'm done.
On my last 10k i had a slice of toast and half a banana. I tend to like to eat about 2 hrs before the run, just makes me feel like I'm not full and in turns makes running easier.
ARe you maybe eating right before you go out? I would try waiting a little bit and maybe trying some type of protein with stay power.
good luck!
That sounds delicious! I am gonna have to try it!
Idk what's up w/ the nausea!!! I'm sorry! If i was a runner, i would help! I usually eat a banana or an small apple w/ a little peanut butter before i go for a walk, though.
hey girl, here is what i do know.. on nights before our waterpolo games, we would eat pastas for carbs! as for the day.. a banana is good for not causing cramps! i say just eat a few hours before, but much more than just an applesauce..perhaps a protein bar and a banana?
I eat a half of a clif bar 30 minutes-1 hour before I run! You have to fuel before a run. I used to get nauseous, but not anymore :)
Pre-race try and eat 1-2 hrs before. When running the shorter distances I generally do a half of a Powerbar or something similar. A piece of bread with pb or a rice cake with pb is also a great pre-run option. Also, concentrate on your breathing. If you are sucking wind hard, SLOW DOWN!! Breathe in through your nose and out through the mouth. Another trick I've used is picking a point to run to...say the next street. Then when you get there pick another point to try and run to. Each time you get to the next point, evaluate whether or not you can run just "a little bit more". If you can't, stop and walk for a second then give it another go. It could just be that you are having an off couple days. Keep trying things till you figure it out.
Don't run on an empty stomach. Your body needs fuel/energy in the form of carbohydrates for you to get through the run othewise it starts using muscle.
Eating something like a bowl of oatmeal one hour before your run is good. Oatmeal is a slow acting carbohydrate and the energy from it will kick in for you at the time you need it. Otherwise, if you didn't get up in time, eating a "quick" acting carbohydrate like some kind of fruit...banana, dried fruit. Your body will be able to quickly use that for energy as well.
Protein needs to be eaten one hour before physical activity.
When I race, I set my alarm and eat a bowl of oatmeal about 1 1/2 hour before the race combined with a few glasses of water. Then, I only takes sips of water after that.
I have no idea what to tell you about the not feeling well while running. Although I do know that I don't exercise as well and often feel nauseous around the time of my period. I also puke if I try to run in the morning before eating or drinking anything haha.
And I'm weird because when I used to play soccer I would typically eat a hoagie and drink a full bottle of gatorade right before the game started and then run the full 90 minutes in the heat.
Good luck!
You aren't my secret pregnant blog reader are you?! Haha I'm just kidding!
I actually like to eat a good breakfast before I run. I can't do the banana then run thing. I need like a REAL breakfast. But I know some people that get sick because they eat something beforehand. I think you just need to play around with what works for you. Maybe eat an hour before you run? And make sure you are drinking plenty of water beforehand.
Don't worry girl... You'll be ready for your race!
When I play basketball -- I eat about an hour to hour and a 1/2 before I go play. It has enough time to digest and gives me the energy that I need. Also - make sure you drink enough water throughout the day -- if not, dry mouth and I'm pretty sure nausea can happen. -- It's like when a car overheats.
but I'm not a professional.
I eat a banana with 1/2 c. of oats. And drink about 8 oz of water. Good luck!
While not popular, I can usual drink a meal replacement shake (slim fast or knock-off) within 30 minutes and still feel okay.
If I eat solid food, though, I'd want at least one hour per other advice.
Everyone has left pretty good comments about what to eat before a run. I just wanted to tell you, figure out what works best for you as soon as possible, and then use it until your race. You never, ever, ever want to try something new on race day, whether that is food, or different clothes, or what have you. Good luck! =)
yay for blogs with lettuce names! i wish i had a suggestion for you for your pre-run eats...it's so diff for each person!
I think that you need to experiment with a few different things (as well as times) and just see what works for you. Personally, I eat a luna bar about an hour before I work out and that really works for me. Experiment and you will find what works, I don't think there is a one solution answer here that can go across the board for everyone. Also, if you are feeling sick, don't run- if your body is talking to you- LISTEN! :)
I'm not a runner (yet), but I try to eat 30 - 45 minutes before my workout. Usually just a granola bar, but I've got enough energy and no nausea. That's my only suggestion. =]
And I can't live without my GF grill. We use it just about everyday, sometimes twice a day. As a matter of fact, I need a new one lol.
Before my long runs on Sundays I eat toast with jam and a cup of coffee about an hour before. This gives me a little energy and helps pass...anything...that might be sitting in my intestines. If you know what I'm saying. I find I feel best using this approach. Good luck!
Post a Comment