Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Feeling Defeated

Yes, it is true. Although I really try to focus on the positive things happening in my life through this blog and hope to bring you all some encouragement....

I am feeling utterly defeated today.

I am really, really trying to get into school. I have taken almost two years off from school and feel an immense amount of pressure to get back and finish my degree. I am excited that I finally might know what I actually want to do with my life.

The problem is...I can't seem to figure out how to just stinkin' enroll. I am in a place where there are literally no colleges within practical distance to go to. I have been looking into doing online courses through my old community college (a great distance away, so I can't physically go there).

I finally called today to figure out what I need to do to get in. First of all, I talked to some lady who must have seriously woken up on the wrong side of the bed. She started firing all these questions at me and I got seriously overwhelmed. Apparently even though I already got a FREAKIN DEGREE from this place, I have to start all over- apply for admission, meet with an advisor, register, pay. And to top it off she tells me the classes I want to take are already full anyway.

I am actually in tears right now. I just want this process to be easy and simple- but every single quarter I've tried to get back in- something falls apart. I feel like my efforts are hopeless and I will never be able to get the degree I want.

On top of that, it's raining, and I've got a husky who will simply not leave me be and is destroying numerous things every time I turn my back.

Sorry for the downer guys...but that's life sometimes I guess....

11 comments:

Tonyne said...

Oddly enough, I'm sort of going through the same thing with school. I want to go back, I finally know what for, but there aren't any good schools near me and within state lines.

Hang in there, it'll all work out, it always does. :)

Melissa said...

Sorry you're having a rough day, Nicole... if only you lived near... I'd have hubby make some of his coffee & we'd try to get the mean lady at the college to BE NICE & HELP OUT!!! ;)

AIR HUG!!!! (that's what i call them- when i'm hugging you but you're away!)

Anyway - i don't know why schools make everything SOOO HARD! I mean, i've had the same types of problems, not to mention numerous others i've heard of. Hopefully it will work out completely & very soon for ya!

Seth said...

sorry it's a rough day. Online classes are not that bad - and you should not have to retake classes. I would call them back until I got someone who knew what they were talking about.

Registration and making decisions is never easy - keep with it.

Caitlin said...

Keep it up and call that lady back and give her a piece of your mind. And then ask to speak to someone else. (That's what I'd say I would do, but then I wouldn't do it because I'm a chicken like that.) You'll find a great school, and online classes aren't bad, especially when you're taking classes that you really enjoy. Good luck!

Kimmi said...

I know what you mean about classes! Honestly why do they make it so difficult for someone who simply wants to get an education? Ridiculous.

Anyhow I hope your day gets better, either way you are amazing and good luck with the pup!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Nicole... What about doing a dietary manager degree online? I know quite a few colleges that offer that. It's not as intense as a dietician but they do work directly under them. I also know that Kansas State offers a dietician degree online. I've done so much research for this. I was actually enrolled in a DM program and was supposed to start classes this fall. Being pregnant a second time has put all of that on hold...

Seriously, email me (kristen@changeofpaceforme.com) if you need anything. I can pass all the info I found onto you :)

Sarah said...

I am sorry you are having a rough day. They seem to be going around.

Unknown said...

sorry, you're not really allowed to have a bad day....

JUST KIDDING!

I've had several of those over the last few months. It's okay to one and it's totally okay to post it too! If you didn't we'd wonder if you're really from this planet.

Patti said...

Oh man, I am a Pacific Northwester too (down in Portland) and am hating this rain as well!! Seriously puts a damper on my intentions to get out and walk!

I am sorry you seem to be hitting roadblocks with school. :( It's so great though that you have an overall direction of what you want to do...that is a start! There are a lot of legit online schools out there, maybe some more online research might help? :)

P.S. Your husky is just preparing you for babies someday, LOL!

Integrity Daily said...

You have support from us for sure! On a day like this I resolve to take a step back and relax. Read, take a bath, watch a movie and tell myself it will pass, have faith in myself and be ready to tackle tomorrow. Today is as it should be, trust.

Laura said...

I am seriously behind on blog reading! Sorry this journey is off to such a rough start for you. Don't let anything stand in the way of your dreams though. Keep searching. Keep going. You make your life happen! :)