Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Life Decisions Scare Me

Well as some of you know I've been exploring a career in Nutrition. I have reached out to a few ladies that are from this area and actually got to go to coffee with a Registered Dietitian on Monday. It was really cool to be able to talk to her. I also had one person contact me through my formspring box that is an RD offering for me to talk to her. I haven't gotten a hold of her yet, but if you are reading this, just know I will be contacting soon!

On Tuesday I randomly started up a conversation with a lady I had heard through a friend was a certified nutritionist. You know that weird feeling when you introduce yourself to someone that doesn't know who you are but you know all about them? This was that. LOL! But that's ok, because our conversation turned out AMAZING.

Not only did we have a good 45 minute discussion on a nutrition career....we then continued our discussion through e-mails the next day.

I can't tell you guys how JUBILANT I am that I've met her! She is so passionate about her career and is so willing to help me with my professional decisions. It's honestly a big relief that I've finally talked to someone that really wants to invest back in me. Already she has thrown some huge decisions my way and given me some amazing options. For instance....ummm...the fact that there is University close to me that is Nationally renowned for the degree I want to get! YEAH! How did I miss that one?! Not quite sure!

I prayed a couple weeks ago that if this is what God would have me do, that He will help things fall into place. It's funny how I can pray that prayer wholeheartedly and still not believe that He will work things out. Doubt is a killer, huh?

If in fact I do decide to go to this University, it WILL be a sacrifice. First of all, it is a mighty commute. We are talking a 45 minute ferry and 20 minute drive. I'm hoping I would only have to go two or three days a week.

It will also cost money. The commute $ itself is going to be killer. Not to mention the univeristy itself. You don't really call yourself nationally renowned and not charge an arm and a leg.

Thirdly, time. And that is probably the hardest thing. What will I do for work? Will I have to get a different job to fit around my school schedule? Will Kellen feel neglected? Will my husky pup show her anger of less excercise through even MORE rebellion?! How long will this take? I want to have kids someday!!!
...all of this scares me to death.

But the biggest question is: is it worth it?

Is it worth it to be doing something I really love to do?
Is it worth it to finally feel like I've put my gifts to good use?
Is it worth it to feel like I am really doing something with my life, really impacting people and making a difference?

I've already asked my #1 (God) and #2 (hubby) to help me with this decision. So far all systems go....

But I'm still scared.

12 comments:

Candace said...

To do what you love while you are still young would be measurable beyond words-and then when your kids finally do come along they will have a happy and fulfilled mommy :)

Alexia said...

If this is what you want to do and you feel that God has everything fall into place, then by all means!!

I agree with Candace. We're able to make more sacrifices when you're young. Then again I'm not married nor do I own a house and I don't plan to have kids for at least 10 years so we're in different boats!

But you'll figure it out...
And I agree: Decisions are SSSOOOO hard!

Mrs. S. said...

Follow you heart and if there is one thing I truly wish I would have done pre-kids is finish my college degree. Hands down. If you want it-try to make it work now!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Nicole it will all work out... If that's really what you want to do you will figure it out financially. It will be so rewarding in the end!

Seth said...

I like your focus and how you make your decisions, you just got some more respect in my book.

Doubt is a killer. If all systems are a go, you've only got one decision; stare up the stairs or step up the steps (<--- as you know, my new motto)

Debbie said...

I think that if you're sure it's what you want to do, you should do it! It's a rare thing to realize your passion early on in life, while you still have a chance to do something about it. You'll make the right decision for you!

Kelsey said...

It's possible that the University offers online classes for that degree. Maybe you could take one face to face class and several online classes each semester, that would cut down on commute time and money at the very least.

Good luck on this decision!

Alexia said...

Also, I thought it was funny that a commute for a hour is long for you. In NY we spend half our lives commuting! Ha!

Miss Erika said...

It is ALWAYS worth it to do what you love, no matter what you sacrifice. Because if you don't, you're just going to be wondering "What if..." for the rest of your life.

Melissa said...

i totally agree w/ what others have said. you are young - you still have time for kids - once you have them, you may not want to do school until they're older. I would get the school done now!

For awhile i was considering going back to school for teaching. i decided not to, but i'm 32 & we'll be starting a family pretty soon. If i was in my early twenties, i probably would have gone ahead & done it! :) (Not that i couldn't do it if i REALLY wanted to. But i'm just saying... it's easier before kiddos.)

I'm so excited for you!!!! You'll be an awesome nutritionist! :)

BikiniBound said...

I am currently a nutrition student. If you want any advice, or have any questions let me know! I love talking about it!

Nikki Bond said...

@Bikini Bound- I hope you get this! I can't comment on your page. Maybe something wrong with your coding. I would love to talk to you! Could you send me your email??