Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Weigh in Week 17: Fondue For You.

Wow! What a week! I gotta say, it pretty much fell into a similar pattern to the others....strong starting Monday with self control ending around Friday around 5pm. LOL! You really just don't realize how much social events revolve around food until you make healthy eating a main focus in your life.

I've been thinking for a while now about where I am going in this health journey and it is very possible that when I get to my goal weight I will stop calorie counting. Sound scary? Yeah, it is. The point of this would be to focus on eating WHOLE foods and what I believe God created us to eat.
I'm struggling with a balance of enjoying myself, not worrying too much about calories, and trying new, delicious, and sometimes not so healthy foods, with how to not to revert back to binging and overeating. It's really a tough balance...

Well, I'm not quite there yet. I've got 12. 5lbs to goal! I lost 1.5lbs this week for a new total of 27.5lbs lost.

Sunday was pretty magnificent.

First of all, the hubby and I woke up and cuddled on the couch. He agreed to watch Food Inc. with me which was pretty amazing in itself!My Opinion: Wow. You just have to watch it. Although I was actually expecting something a little different (I was almost hoping it would be more about why to go vegetarian, I'm interested in this subject--post about this later this week to follow). But it is definitely worth the watch if you are interested in where and how our food is made (which you should be, you're eating it!).

We discussed what we would do for the day next. Kellen has been begging me for several months now to make fondue with him and because of the MASS AMOUNT of calories from this dish- I've respectively declined several times. So yesterday I finally gave in....

It was....to die for!

We will start with the first bottle of wine I had ever successfully opened myself! TAADAA!

Then Kellen grated the cheese while I sliced the veggies:
And of course we needed to enjoy some wine while cooking:
The finished product:
Yes, that is a huge plate of broccoli and asparagus (to equal out the organic sourdough bread, wine, and fondue calories...lol)

He was like a little kid at a candy shop ready to dive in:SO GOOD.

And for dessert (as if we needed the extra calories..) we spread some of the leftover bread with my AMAZING find yesterday:

We had a wonderful day :)

*As I am sitting here writing this it occurs to me: Am I the poster child of "You can eat ANYTHING and lose weight!!" or what?!?!!? LOL!

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Well, that makes me feel better!!! Did you see my post from this weekend?! AHHH! No jk! B/c i agree you can eat anything & lose weight, just gotta eat the whole stuff as much as possible & count calories! Though i also hope to not count calories anymore once i reach my goal. Ok, that's a long time from now, but still! I figure i'll be ok as long as i keep the good for you stuff the most common thing i eat.

I'll have to watch FOOD, INC! Kinda scared, though!

Seth said...

I'm not sure about the chocolate peanut butter but everything else sounds good.

WWSuzi said...

Whenever i come across a new post here it just makes my day!! Thanks

Jessica - cbgblog said...

way to go on the loss!!
You are getting so close to your goal.... WOOHOOO!!!!

mmmm.... food sounds delicious :)

Kerri & Katie said...

I love that last comment. It really is all moderation! If you eat well all week, a treat is in order!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I could literally eat cheese fondue with bread and a glass of wine for every single meal. Fresh warm bread and good sharp cheese are my favorite foods. Plus just a bite of chocolate for dessert. OMG I WANT SOME! Haha! You guys are an adorable couple. You make me miss my husband... Which is a good thing! :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Holy moly girl I forgot to congratulate you! (I got too caught up in the cheese! haha) CONGRATS on being a loser... again ;)!!!

Kyle said...

Great loss and it does show courage and balance to accommodate your husband's dietary craving after many declines in the past.

Did you know fondue can also be done with boiling bouillon? While the oil and cheese versions are fun, you can get away with a very healthy fondue by making a flavorful liquid, e.g. stock, wine, herbs, etc. and keep it at a high simmer. Cooks the meats, veggies, etc. great.

Of course, not as decadent, but you get the whole experience still.

Nikki Bond said...

@Seth- Do you have a link to your blog? It doesn't come up when I click on your pic. I think I am a follower of everyone else who has commented here. Thanks, guys!!

Lucy said...

You are doing so exceptionally well! A HUGE congrats!

Tricia said...

congrats on the loss!

financecupcake said...

Great loss! You and Kellen are too cute, by the way!

Seth said...

I think I fixed that.

www.1010intwentyten.blogspot.com

divad said...

And...look at how much you're down! Amazing.

Laura said...

Food Inc was def a good movie. Watched it recently.

Tiff said...

That looks like fun! Yea it's crazy how on some weeks I won't eat so well and I'll still lose while other weeks I'm perfect and I might even see a gain. Craziness, oh well, as long as it all comes off in the end WHO CARES!?

You guys win for cutest couple :)