Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

I am the Tortoise.

This post will definitely not be as interesting as some of my last couple posts, but it's needed.

I'm kind of worried. On Saturday I ran 28 minutes for my C25k program. I was really proud of myself for making it that far...until I measured my distance. I ran only 2 miles in 28 minutes! That is 14 minutes miles! AHHHH

I'm kind of embarrassed to even admit that. At that rate, my MINIMUM time at the 5k I am doing in March will be 42 minutes. I was shooting for anything below 40, but 42 would be kind of embarrassing. I feel like most people walk faster than I "run"

Not really sure what to do about this, as I have TRIED to run faster, but I just can't last that long going at a faster speed. I should be finishing my c25k program within the next two weeks, and then I will focus on speed I think.

In other news, I drank an "ogre" or "green monster" for breakfast this morning:
This one was inspired my Kristen @ Change of Pace
It had peanut butter, banana, soy milk and spinach. Sounds gross but you can't even taste the spinach- its like a peanut butter milkshake! I didn't use any protein because I don't have any, but I might pick some up from the grocery store this weekend.

I don't feel like moving this morning at all. I woke up way too late and am just feeling lazy. GRR!

8 comments:

Tiff said...

That would be frusterating! But I think running 28 minutes is a big accomplishment, I'm not sure how long it will be until i can do that!

I've actually REALY been wanting to try a green monster- maybe this weekend is the time!

BEE said...

oh that ogre sounds good

Tiffany said...

Seriously, who cares about speed? The fact that you are out there working on running a 5K is more than alot of people can say. The longer you do it, the faster you will get. As your legs strengthen you'll get faster. Don't get frustrated, keep moving forward. One tip I will share, squats and lunges REALLY helped me improve my running.
The green monster looks interesting. I make a smoothie of banana, frozen blueberries, almond milk and van protein powder. Maybe I'll try the gm next....

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Honestly, girl who cares how fast you run! It's the fact that you ran the ENTIRE way. I did a 5k on Thanksgiving and was just SO proud to run the whole way. I thought I'd come in last but I there were a lot of people behind me walking! Don't even get that in your head! Just focus on running the whole time :)

Your ogre looks fantastic by the way ;)

FollowMeDown30 said...

You are invited to make me breakfast...

Seriously-I would be thrilled to run 28 minutes. Take a step back and remember how far you have come. You won't be the slowest person-no one is gonna walk faster than you run. =)

Melissa said...

I'm going along with everyone else so far. Who cares how fast you run? Running a 5k is a huge accomplishment. I don't care if it takes you over an hour to do it, you should be proud of yourself for doing it. I haven't even worked up to running one mile yet, so you've got my old butt beat by a LOT! :)

kimert said...

Girl, the fact that you are putting one foot in front of the other and even running a race is huge!! My first 5k (2 yrs ago) I finished in 48 minutes! The second one this past summer 43 minutes! My 3rd was in 38 minutes. Whatever time you make just be proud to cross the finish line standing!!! You can do it, I know you can!!! :)

Heather said...

I have the same speed problem. It doesn't help when I read all the running blogs that talk about doing marathons at under 8 minutes/mile. I just keep telling myself that I'm not in this for the competition but for the health benefits and doing the distance slowly is better than not doing it at all.