Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Weigh In Week 18: My struggle with oatmeal and new running goals!

Thank you Thank you Thank you to all who left me supporting comments on my post yesterday about the St. Patty's Day Dash- my first 5k. Check it out here if you didn't get a chance to see it!

I think I may have confused everyone with the title of my post yesterday. Although running the race was my b-day present to myself, my birthday is not actually until Wednesday, which happens to be the "official" St. Patrick's Day.

My goal was to have lost 30 pounds by my birthday. So I will be having a "special" weigh in on Wednesday as well. But for now....

I lost 1 pound this week. That means I have lost a total of 28.5 pounds- which also means I would need to lose 1.5lbs in two days to achieve my goals. Um...hehe....well....we will see!

As far as RUNNING goes...I have set another goal! There is a parade in our hometown in May called VikingFest (oddly enough my town is themed Scandinavian.) The parade kicks off with a 5 mile run that I will be doing. I've set up a brand new training schedule (located on my sidebar) and will be keeping track through my blog.

In other news, I ventured into the world of oatmeal this week.

I have NEVER liked oatmeal. And well. I still don't like it.

I tried making it on the stove according to the package directions. I doctored it up with some delicious goodness:
walnuts.coconut.chocolate PB

Sounds good right?

Ehhhhh....

and then I tried:
Maple syrup. Regular PB

Better.

But still....

Ehhhh.....

It's just so mushy and gushy and...not good....

SO! All you Oatmeal LOVERS- I need ideas! I will try to try all of your ideas in the next couple of weeks (depending on if they fit my "palette" of liking) and will post a pic of the one I decide is my favorite in a couple of weeks.

Well I am now off to start my first day of the "Blogger-Made Home Workout Challenge" started my Seth at 1010in2010. Check it out if you'd like to join in!

22 comments:

Seth said...

How are you going to approach the 1.5 lbs that you want to lose in a couple days?

ALso - let me know how challenging the workout is today. I think I am really going to enjoy it - work first though.

divad said...

Baked oatmeal and then broiled. It's more crunchy than mushy. You can spread pb on the top and almost eat it like a bagel or toast. There are a ton of baked oatmeal recipes on line, but then, you need to broil it after.

Melissa said...

Not a huge oatmeal fan here either. I only like it if i get either "maple & brown sugar" or "cinnamon & spice" and add some butter & lots of brown sugar & cinnamon. probably not the healthiest. So i stay away from oatmeal on my weight loss journey! HAHAHA! Though maybe i'll try what you try when you get some pointers! :)

OHHHH & your bday is WED! I did get mixed up!!!

Continuous Changes said...

I have heard baked oatmeal and breakfast cookies are good and solid, not mushy, but I love oatmeal, so I eat the mushy stuff.

My morning oatmeal is 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1 c water, 2 tbsp of ALMOND butter(more crunchy), 1 tbsp agave nectar(today was the first time I tried it and it rocked), with raisins and sometimes fiber one cereal for crunch :)

Carrie said...

happy birthday to you! I'm also a st. pat's birthday! (except i have more practice than you at them...39 for me.)

WWSuzi said...

My favorite oats are with cooked with 1/2 a banana and some cocoa (sweetened as you like)and flax seed, when it's cooked i slice the rest of the banana on top and add a dollop of peanut butter. Chocolate helps everything :)

Syl said...

Just wanted to stop in and say congrats on your run, that is a great birthday present for yourself!

Andrea@CeleryITCity said...

this is how I feel about oatmeal too! I am not a fan..I mean, yes..if I mixed a ton of PB in it..I might like it..but I'd probably rather just eat the PB,lol. 1.5 pounds in 2 days? hmm..it's possible, last chance workout?! lol

Laura said...

Oatmeal hater here. So I say make it in to granola!! http://laurablogsagain.blogspot.com/2009/06/granola.html

Sarah said...

I am bad.. I only do the microwave oatmeal and that is only once and awhile. Other wise it yogurt and oats and fruit every morning!

Seth said...

I was unsure of the fitness level of everyone and how long to make it. I will add a few more exercises to make it longer and hopefully more challenging. If it goes really quickly - you may try to do level 3. Sorry if today was not challenging for you all...I guess trial and error works.

Jenn said...

Have you tried steel cut oats? It still has a crunch to it and isn't as mushy as the over processed minute oats. It does take a long time to cook, but here's a shortcut method: http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2009/01/overnight-oatmeal-quick-cook-steelcut-oats-in-10-minutes.html

I like the McCann's brand in the metal can. Avoid the Quaker brand. Talk about mushy! Blech!

Christine said...

Yep, steel cut oats is the way to go....I don't like the instant/quick stuff near as much.
I make a large pot of it on Monday morning and then just reheat.
My favorite's are a fresh apple chopped and mixed in (it gives it that crunchy texture) sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar or a banana mashed and mixed up with a tbsp. of peanut butter. YUMMY!

Christine said...

Yep, steel cut oats is the way to go....I don't like the instant/quick stuff near as much.
I make a large pot of it on Monday morning and then just reheat.
My favorite's are a fresh apple chopped and mixed in (it gives it that crunchy texture) sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar or a banana mashed and mixed up with a tbsp. of peanut butter. YUMMY!

Kyle said...

Oatmeal...well that is food I put in the category of eating for nourishment, not enjoyment. In other words, I can accept it doctored with brown sugar or honey, cinnamon, etc.

However, don't feel bad if it becomes one of those items that you eat just eat. Personally, I think that is a healthy approach since it minimizes the food addiction behavior that all foods consumed must be "enjoyable".

Looking forward to following your training for the 5 miler...you runner you!

Unknown said...

Steel cut oats. Chewier. Or you can make a cereal with medium grain brown rice cooked with milk/soy/rice milk, etc and doctored up as you did. Or you could do the same with pearl barley. So many options. Congrats on the race. Go girl!

Debbie said...

I like to mix in half a banana and about 1/4 cup of granola. It makes it nice and crunchy! I added a few sliced almonds this morning as well - that gave it a really nice flavour.

My personal experience is that oatmeal is mushy... if that grosses you out, there's not anything you can add that's going to make it significantly better.

That said, I haven't tried steel cut oats, and I haven't tried baking/broiling it either. It's worth a shot! I think I'd probably still eat oatmeal even if I didn't like it -- just because it really does do a good job of keeping me full until lunch!

adorkable said...

i second the baked oatmeal/breakfast cookie notion.

i LOVE me some baked oatmeal.

*drool*

Patti said...

I love Trader Joe's Apple and Cinnamon Instant oatmeal. It is quick and easy and yummy. It also doesn't have any artificial ingredients in it! I add frozen blueberries to it too. I have also made steel cut oats in my slow cooker before too the night before, which is cool too. Kinda fun to wake up to breakfast all nice and warm! You can google slow cooker steel cut oats and find lots of variations! :)
Great job in setting new goals! Once I am in shape, maybe I could drive up north and we could run something together! A fun thought!

Tiff said...

Alright missy, I didn't get to read yesterday so it's time for me to say.... CONGRATULATIONS!!! I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FREAKING PROUD AND HAPPY FOR YOU! You ran the WHOLE thing!?!? That's amazing!!!! So cool to see you getting stronger and stronger- wow- you rock! :) *BIG HUGS*

Alexia said...

GASP!! Oatmeal is amazing!
And you've inspired me to attempt running this summer - you're doing a wicked job!

Missy said...

YUM - your first one sounds good! I'll have to be more creative with my oatmeal. My fave right now is adding 1/4 C pumpkin, cinnamon and sugar. YUMMY!