This is what I said to myself as I crossed that finish line this morning. That, and a whole other slew of thoughts "You did this. It's ok to be proud. This is what you've been working for."
But to get there, I will start with my journey to Seattle which begins the day before (Saturday) where the city was alive with the Irish spirit.
Kellen and I headed on over to the city in the morning to meet up with some friends to celebrate. Kellen got into the Irish spirit on the ride their because we knew the city would be flooded with green:
Our first order of business:Picking up my race packet and shirt for the next day!
For lunch (and birthday celebration) we went to the cheesecake factory. I've been eyeing the "avocado egg rolls" for quite some time and wanted to try them out.
They were so yummy, but I'm sure quite high in calories. Oh well. It's my party...right?For our main entree K and I shared the Thai Lettuce Wraps:
Things got a little silly while we were waiting for our food:

That night we stayed at my mom's apartment in seattle. The next morning I was SO pumped and excited for the race!Here is me in all my gear back at the apartment:

We walked about a 1/2 mile to get to the start. I figured it was a good warm up!
About the race:WOW! 15,000 people showed up for this race around the city of Seattle. Green was EVERYWHERE! The weather was gorgeous- beautiful and sunny, but just the perfect temperature for a long run.
For whatever reason, I ended up having only ONE running buddy to walk up to the start line with. But that's ok! This race was not about friends- it was about my own accomplishment. However, I was happy to have one bud there (for the beginning at least)--it happened to be my husband's best bud Will. (p.s. ladies, this guy is amazing, AND SINGLE! hehe)
Of course the hubby was there to cheer us on. He has some problem with his knees so he didn't run, but he was cheering on taking pictures from the sidelines!This is me right after I crossed the starting line (unfortunately the hubby's picture taking skills are....lacking...lol)
It was SUCH an amazing experience.There were honestly people there at every stage of their life- old, young, fit, not so fit, skinny, lots to love (hehe). This was amazingly encouraging. Not once did I feel out of place or to slow. Some people chose to walk, others sprinted. But we all did it.
I was so nervous that I might have stopped to walk. It has been my goal for four months that I would run this whole race. Well guess what?
I SUCCEEDED.
That's right....3.7 miles. The farthest I've ever ran! What an amazing feeling.Honestly, time didn't matter. I don't even know my "official" time yet. All that matters is that I set a goal and I accomplished it. For that I am extremely happy.
Happy Birthday to me :)
29 comments:
Hooray! Congratulations! It sounds and looks like you had a great time! Are you addicted now? Looking for a new race to train for yet? LOL.
Happy Birthday!!!!!
Way to go! Happy Birthday!
Love the photo blow by blow.
You sure did Succeed!! How awesome you must have felt. Congrats:) AND a HAPPY-HAPPY Birthday!!
HOORAY! Happy Birthday!!! i am so excited for you! GO YOU! I would have been sooo tempted to stop & walk!! I would have been justifying like crazy! I am so glad you kept on running! You are amazing!
Love all the pics!
Great Job! I've got to say that your writing is very good. You definitely build the suspense up -- good job on running the whole 3.7!
Happy Birthday! I did the dash one year and there was so much green there!!! :) It was definitely a lot of fun though. Awesome job on the run!
How inspiring! Happy Birthday to you! And I'm so happy for you!
What a great birthday gift to yourself! :o)
What a great job!!!! Happy Birthday!!
That is fantastic! Congratulations! :)
looked like so much fun
congrats
Yay!! Good job, Nikki! I'm proud of you! :) Remember how much we used to HATE (well, I still do) running in high school? Good for you for learning to love it. Oh, and Happy Almost Birthday!
AWESOME. Way to go. I'm so proud of you!!!!
I used one of your pictures and linked you on the blog today, hope that's ok! :)
I am so happy for you!! I did my first 5k last month and loved it! I am doing another one in April and hope to run the whole thing. We shall see!! That really is an accomplishment to be proud of!! My hubbies birthday was on the 14th too!
You tell Wil that I got a Canadian girl for him!!!! Serious on this one...especially if he shares your faith in God. Canadian school teacher, fun, fit, sweet...come one Wil.
Yeah!! Go you!! I'm doing a fist pump for you right now! I was thinking about you all day yesterday and wondering how it went for you. You are awesome and this has motivated me to keep getting up and running even though I really don't want to. Sometime this summer I will have a similar post. :)
Happy Birthday and CONGRATULATIONS!!! that is SO EXCITING, I cant wait to get my rear in gear and become a runner!!!
I'm so proud of you!! I can't believe that was the first time you've gone that far and you didn't even have to walk!! Great job girl! Now go enjoy your victory and birthday a little bit more! Let the celebrations begin!
Such a great accomplishment! Congrats!
Congrats on your accomplishment! Way to go! Happy Birthday! :)
What a good job! Sounds like a blast. One of the things I love about races is the atmosphere...and all the people of every shape and size. Way to go running the whole way. Can't wait to see what your next goal is...
Way to go nicole! I am so proud of your hard work in running and healthy eating habits - you are so inspiring :) And I am loving your new blog ya sneaky sneakster!
Oh my goodness, congratulations!! You are a gorgeous lady. Running rocks and so do YOU!
CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(also, tell will he can email me!)
bahahahah
Congratulations and happy birthday!!
Happy happy birthday! Great job with the race - I'm glad you enjoyed it!!
I was off blogger for a week but I couldn't wait to see how you did-you rock girl~
Post a Comment