Another long one, so stick with me here folks!
I know what you are wondering. No, no one has asked me this. Well actually, one person did, but she was a good friend and we talk about weight pretty openly. Anyway, my title is actually referring to a reoccurring thought I've had in my head over the last couple of months. Let me explain.
You see, I just don't like trying to compare what I might look like to women on magazines or TV. It's pretty much useless because as we all know most of these women are either:
a. airbrushed to non human size or
b. don't eat more than an apple a day.
Um. Yeah. That's just not for me.
But what I DO like to do is "check out" women in real life- coffee shops, post office, the mall. This may sound a little bit creepy. And I'm sure it would be a little bit weird if they caught me staring at their adorable butt or awesome toned arms, but for the most part, I try to keep it discreet. LOL! In all honestly, I really just want to walk up to them and say "Excuse me Miss- how tall are you? how much do you weigh? Ok. Thank you. Byebye."
You see, "us overweight for lifers" just really have no idea what it might look like to be at a "normal" weight. When I was in 8th grade I weighed in at 155lbs at the doctor's office. I remember him coming in and telling me that what I weighed now was a healthy weight for a woman of 5'6". What I didn't realize is that he was really saying is "you can't gain anymore weight- you're done! No more!" Yeah. I didn't get it. I think I just almost took it as a compliment. Woohoo! I'm normal! Um...yes, you are normal...at the age of 13!
The point of this little story is really just to tell you all that I have no clue what weight I will be happy with. I really haven't ever been there. I don't have those pictures that I look back on and think "oh I wish I was that weight again!" So for now I'm just shooting for my first goal (about ten pounds from now) and we will see where I go from there.
Now food and Trader Joe reviews.
This week of course I have been testing out my Trader Joe products. Wow have I been impressed.
Monday night was chicken gyros.
This is probably one of the easiest meals I make.All you do is grill some chicken breast and cut it into pieces. The sauce is plain yogurt and dill weed- I also added a bit of lemon juice and garlic salt to this one. You could fill the pitas with veggies too to make a bit healthier.
Trader Joes Mini Wheat Pitas- They are pretty cute and yummy, but the best part about these is they are so cheap. I was having such a hard time justifying buying pitas at my local grocery store because they are SO expensive. A bag of about 10 mini pitas at TJ's is 2 dollars!
For dessert we of course had to try the delicious and oh so cheap TJ's wine:
I am not a huge wine fan in general, but if I do have it, it has to be fruity and juicy. This stuff hit the spot. And for 3 dollars a bottle- well you just can't argue with that.Let me admit something to you all right now. In the last [almost] 5 months of "healthy choices" I can probably count on my hands how many times I've eaten a salad. Yup. I just really am NOT a salad person. I think mainly it's because the disgusting taste of lowfat dressings just never appeals to me. Kind of funny considering the title of my blog....
That all changed yesterday.
Holy guacamole. I have died and gone to salad heaven. Seriously- just send me to the lettuce patches--3.50 for this bottle of deliciousness. Maybe I am exaggerating. But I don't think so.Last night's dinner:


TJ's gyoza- 3 dollars (about 22 in the bag) and for 7 gyoza it's about 220 calories. SO yummy. The fried rice was really good too.
That's all for today. Tomorrow I HOPE to talk about my heart rate monitor situation as I have had a few questions about it!
21 comments:
I had to chuckle at this. I'm in the SAME boat. I've checked out other guys who 'appear' to have the kind of normal body composition I'm after and desperate to ask, how tall are you and how much do you weight? I'm now at 178.4 pounds for a 6'0 footer which is normal BMI. I look proportional, but I know that my body composition is still way off and that strength training is still a huge goal.
Anyway, thought you'd like to know that even I have checked out the others...clothed that is...not in the shower creepy sort of way!
My dearest Nicole-
Sorry I've been such a bad bloggy friend! But I've caught up on all of your posts now so I'm redeemed! :)
I'm glad you had a successful trip to TJ's! What did you think of the potstickers? I've been meaning to try those recently! It's funny, you would think since TJ's is such a "specialty" store that it would be more expensive but it's not bad. Next time, try the Casear dressing that they have right next to the ranch- it is super good and only 50 cals for 2tblspoons!
Hope your week is off to a great start! :)
I'm the same way, I have absolutely no idea what I will look like when I get to a healthy weight. In my adult life, I've never really been at one. I think I was once, for a week, terribly unhealthily I might add. But, no pictures and even then I wasn't what I am now. It kind of makes it exciting though, doesn't it? :)
I heart chicken gyros. You should just know.
I think it happens for me more in the gym than other times. It is not a "check out" but a pondering on what they did to get to that point. Every one has a story and that's what i want to know. You see how ripped some other people are and wonder how much struggle or how easy it was for them to get there.
For men - I can't even tell how much they weigh. I know how much I weigh and i would consider someone of the same size as me to be about the same -- but sometimes they say less <-- that doesn't make sense to me but it happens...I don't have a problem asking how much they weigh.
Did you know that women dress for WOMEN not men? They dress up and look pretty for other women... Crazy huh. It's true though. Who are you really trying to impress? Your hubs that sees you in dirty tshirts or your girlfriend that just got a million dollar pair of sunglasses?
I too check out women haha! That sounds so funny! I probably check them out more than guys... Not to say damn that girl is hot but just to wonder how much she weighs what she eats to look that good.
I love reading your blog. You always describe me in posts like this one :)
Kuddos on your thinking about your ideal weight, it's a great way to live and not obsess.
Now I am really jealous you have TJ's and I don't. Potstickers are possibly my fave food. 7 for 220!?!? Gees! I'm drooling over here.
And I loved the first part of your post! Great thinking.
Thanks for the review on all of the trader joe's stuff. It just makes me even more sad that I don't have a Trader Joe's in my state....haha jokes jokes! I am sooo glad you are loving it :)
About looking at other women, I do it all the time! I have a hard time imagining myself super thin(i was there once, but had a crazy mind that believed I was fat)! I always see bodies that I would love to have, but accept that mine won't be an exact replica :)
That food looks delish! Do you like cottage cheese? I am well know for hitting the salad bat & picking up only veggies, no lettuce and topping it with cottage cheese.
Your food looks delish!
Girl, me too, the smallest i remember being is 208 in my early 20's - i was trying to lose then, too! I know i gained most of my weight in high school b/c i'm average size freshman year (i guess?) & have gained a lot by senior year. Who knows? i am guessing 149 is perfect only b/c of my height & the BMI charts, but i really have no clue. i'm 5'6. Guess we'll see!
(I also "check out" women for the same reason!
I use that ranch dressing! It is yummy! I actually just came from TJ's! Ha!
Checking out other women sounds great. I know what you mean because I've never been thin either. It's going to be a huge transition!
I hear so much about Trader's Joe's yet I have never been to one. I think that is my mission when I move back to the states. It all looks so yummy!!
Dude, I totally check out other girls' assets. Maybe it's creepy, but I'm sure most of us do it. :P I think "I wonder what I would look like with those gorgeous arms", etc haha.
I'm glad you found a tasty dressing! I didn't eat salad either until I found an asian Sesame Ginger dressing that Newman's Own makes, but now I can't find it! Boo! I wish I had a Trader Joe's near me. : (
Great post!! I too have NO idea what my goal weight is. I think 175 but I am 5'8 and don't know what SIZE that will be. I am more interested in being a certain size then a certain weight I think. :)
TJ's is the BEST!!!! You have to try their tomato basil hummus...it's my favorite thing there!!Love the potstickers too....yummy!!!
Oh my goodness, I do the same thing! And I hope no one has ever noticed, cause I'm sure it would look creepy, but I can't help it! I haven't been at a normal weight since before puberty, so I haven't a clue what I would look like at any healthy weight. But I'm excited to find out!
Last night's dinner looks awesome!
I know exactly how you feel, I recently had a photo altered to show me what I might look like at my goal weight as I had no idea as I dont remember been that weight (I porbably was that weight when I was 10 or something)... check out my post if you want http://misssarahlou.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-feel-skinny-oh-so-skinny.html
Wow! Totally wish that I had a Trader Joe's anywhere near me! I'll have to see if there's one near our hotel on our next visit to the US.
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who "checks out" other women. I have no idea what I'll look like as a skinny chick and I look at these women to think, hmm...will my butt look like that? Will I be able to pull off shorts like that?
Whew, I thought I was an oddball :D Thank goodness for the blogosphere!
The food looks amazing! I haven't cooked in awhile. Gives me some inspiration!
I am always checking out other women asking my husband, "Do I look as good as she does?" "Is my butt as big as her's?" LOL! I left you an award on my blog. Love reading yours!!
Chicken Gyros sounds absolutely fabulous!!! Yum! I just may have to steal the idea
Post a Comment