Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Creamy Oatmeal and Cool Gadgets

You may all remember a couple of weeks ago when I wrote about my struggle with oatmeal. You all gave some great suggestions! I also had been eyeing this strange creation called "overnight" oatsl I kept seeing on Kristen's blog. So I ventured into this world and....I fell in oatmeal love.

Yes, I realize that I said the reason that I didn't like hot meal was because it was "mushy"--and this is still true. But for some reason, this overnight oats thing has just a bit of crunchy and it overrides that mushy element.

Here was my first bowl ever:What I put in it:
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup soy milk
1 small banana, cut up
1/2 Tbsp PB
1 tbsp Agave

I threw all this in a bowl, gave it a couple stirs, and left it in the fridge overnight. Voila!

I have to tell you, I was pretty skeptical of what it might be like to eat this cold. It sounded pretty gross to me. I tried it anyway, and it was so good! The yogurt makes it so creamy. Now that I've had it cold, I can't imagine eating this hot, I'm not sure it would taste quite right!

I also picked up some steel cut oats at Trader Joe's last weekend but haven't tried them yet!

I received a formspring question a couple of days ago regarding my HRM:

What kind of heart rate monitor are you using? How do you like it?

I have returned this heart rate monitor watch that I got for my birthday:
I think I figured out the problem and why it was overestimating my calorie burn. In order to get your heart rate, you must place your fingre on the metal part of the watch during your workout. Well the problem is, (and I don't know about the rest of you) but my heart rate changes often during my workout! However, because I didn't really want to place my finger on there every minute, the watch was calculating my calorie burn from the last time I measured my heart rate...

and so....

because the main reason I even wanted the watch was for an accurate calorie count, I returned it.

Now when I was shoe shopping this weekend with my mom I spotted the Nike+Ipod sensor. If you have the Ipod or Iphone alreday, this sensor is just 30 dollars.
How it works: you place that little red sensor thing in your shoe and the white part plugs into your Ipod. The sensor measures how many steps you are taking and tells you how long you have been out, how far you are going, and your calorie burn as well. There is an actual voice that comes through your headphones telling you this information.

I realize that this is pretty different from a HRM but I think it's going to fit with me nicely. First of all, my main exercise of choice is running/walking which is what this is designed for. Secondly, I run at a lot of places that are unmarked trails- this is going to be SO nice to know exactly how far I am running.

Another cool thing is that you can set a certain calorie goal. When you reach that goal, the voice will tell you!

I'm really excited to try this out, but I am waiting to do so until I get my new running shoes which I HOPE will be coming in the mail today! I will keep you guys posted!

14 comments:

Corletta said...

Hey There!
Haven't chatted with you in a while! Anyways....one HRM brand that I would HIGHLY recommend is Polar. They could be kind of pricey, but they work great! You wear a transmitter around the top of your rib cage area. It syncs with the watch as well as with most cardio machines! I LOVE mine! Try e-bay for a cheaper one! That's what I did!

Tonyne said...

As you know, I love my Nike+! It's not perfect but it works for me just fine. It made all the difference in my running.

Jessica - cbgblog said...

Oooh that sounds really cool. Tell me how the ipod thing works1

Kyle said...

The overnight oatmeal idea is intriguing. I never considered just basically re-hydrating oatmeal without cooking it...hmmm...

Sarah said...

I think I might have to try the oatmeal thing. The fact it is cold sounds interesting. Are all heart rate monitors like that do you know? Or was that your first one?

Mrs. S. said...

I've heard others do the cold oatmeal thing & call it Muesli? I think.

Thanks for your honest opinion of the monitor, I was one of the asker's of this question. I want to get one that doesn't cost a ton of $$.

Seth said...

i almost bought the nike sensor -- let us know how it works

Tricia said...

I have a polar f11. Its great!

Sunshine Mama said...

I want to try that on my husband. I'm always looking for different ways to change up his oatmeal experience. Mabye I'll do this with the kids too. No cooking in the morning then.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I think either you love overnight oats or you hate them. I don't like hot oatmeal because it makes me too full and I feel yucky. For some reason the cold oatmeal tastes so much better. Fresher I guess! Glad you liked it girl! :)

Continuous Changes said...

Just be careful with the Nike+ iPod. I had one and it would measure incorrectly every runs. I got so frustrated with it sometimes. So, just make sure to use mapmyrun.com very so often. Some people(like Tonyne :)) liked it, but maybe I jsut had bad luck.

Glad you found a way to embrace oats :)

Candace said...

I might have to get a sensor-looks interesting-no offense but your oatmeal looks gross-like cream of mushroom soup or something-haha

Tiffany said...

I used to do overnight or soaked oats everyday for months (turns out that soaking oatmeal releases something that helps boost milk supply during nursing). I never ate them cold though...interesting. Kinda burned out on oatmeal now though because of that lol.

Anonymous said...

I bought a new iPod Touch at Christmas just to use the Nike +. Since then I have already had TWO of the sensors die on me, and sometimes the trainer talkes to me...and some days she says nothing to me. I loved it, it just has been a pain in the butt. Hopefully you have better luck.