Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Everybody's Workin For the Weekend

...so why does it have to go so fast?

Well I started off my Friday with one of my favorite treats. I say TREAT because it was starbucks-- it's probably not good for me at all, and also probably a big waste of $$, so I am trying to only have it ONCE a week. Here I am, enjoying my tall, iced, 1/2 sugar free vanilla, 1/2 sugar free caramel, soy latte! (I know, can you say complicated?!? I never intended to be a coffee snob, i swear. But when you live in the Seattle area, it just becomes a part of you...)

Friday night was girl's night at my friend Colleen's house. She made chocolate chip cookies and we watched All About Steve. NSV- I ate ONE cookie, although the things were freaking DELICIOUS. Luckily I had prepped myself before I left with a nice, healthy dinner!

On Saturday morning I decided to try another recipe from HG's 200 under 200 cookbook. I tried the "chocolate chip mini pancakes."

Here is my PRE creation:
And the final product:Ok. Notice anything? This is the ENTIRE batters worth of pancakes. You are supposedly supposed to get "four mini pancakes" out of this recipe. The TWO you are looking at are probably the size of the top of a glass--pretty small if you ask me. (they are on an appetizer plate above)

My opinion? Eh. First of all, this would not really fill me up. There's oatmeal in it, which kind of makes it kind of dry tasting. It did however fulfill a chocolate craving. But I'm not sure I'll be making this again.

While I was making the pancakes, Kellen had a little to much fun with my camera. I had literally just rolled out of bed and done NOTHING to look decent...thanks, hun!Check out the flour on my shirt, I am a MESSY cook! haha

After BFAST, my friend Olivia and I headed to the Healthy Living Expo in our local town. I was SUPER excited cause I thought I might get to talk to some local dietitians and possibly do some "networking." Well, unfortunately we didn't see any dietitians there...but we did get a chance to check out some other cool stuff! We even got a free pass to check out a "Power Pump" class at the local gym.

Olivia and I then headed out on a walk/hike nearby. Gotta love the pacific northwest since there are tons of beautiful forest paths/places to hike around here. It was a great workout, but I had forgot my camera :(

That night we made Spaghetti Carbonara at their house. Healthy? I think not. Did I have workings in my mind of how to MAKE it lower calories? Of course! (You know I did, Olivia!)

The original recipe called for:
-spaghetti
-1/2 cup half and half
-3 eggs
-1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
-8 slices of bacon

It was delicous, but at 681 cals a pop, this dish is going to HAVE to be renovated to make it as one my regular recipes!

and here is what my mind is thinking:
-whole wheat spaghetti
-egg whites
-low fat Parmesan cheese (does this exist?)
-fat free half and half
-Turkey bacon and/or replacing the bacon with chicken

I'm excited to try this out maybe this week sometime. We also had a super yummy raspberry spinach salad with it.

We wrapped up the night with some homemade caramel popcorn. Now, I am not even going to TRY to think about how many calories this was (honestly, probably an entire days worth). But after three months of eating healthy, this was definitely a treat that I used a "get out of jail free" card on. It was SOOOOO good!

It's Sunday. Our day of rest. I've been listening to Oprah's "Better Life" webcast series and doing the dishes...all day. Is it weird to say cleaning is becoming therapeutic? Yikes...who am i?!

6 comments:

Julia said...

I have been making my own iced coffee, i got a insulated starbucks cup for my b'day. I make my coffee and leave it to get cold then put about 6-8 ice cubes into my cup, pour some coffee creamer (I have a whole selection of flavours etc in the fridge) and then pour in the coffee - so so good. You could also add SF Torino flavours etc.
Today I bought the new skinny caramel macciatto to try.
Yummy.

Julia
http://juliasjourney-finally.blogspot.com/

FollowMeDown30 said...

Sounds like you had a good weekend. My sister and I watched the Dane Cook/Kate Hudson movie My Best Friend's Girl. I highly reccomend it for movie night if you haven't seen it.

Enjoy the rest of your "Rest Day" =)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

OOOH now you've got me craving Starbucks! I normally just get a small something with skim milk and hope that it's not a million calories!

Athena's Melting said...

200 under 200..? I'll have to check that out. Love your dishes btw, very cute!
and I secretly love starbucks too..but they don't have them a lot around here :/

Tiff said...

Tis true, my family lives in the Seattle area and even those who would probably never have touched coffee in the past are now coffee snobs- I can't blame em though, I'm def one as well! :)

Tonyne said...

Hungry Girl had an email with a Carbonara recipe recently, of course she used those gross noodles...