Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Skinny Friends Just Don't Get It


On Saturday I hung out with a long time friend who has never struggled with her weight. She was always the “skinny” friend growing up. We started our time at Subway for lunch and I chose to get a foot long veggie sub. I was SO full afterwards, but boy am I glad I made that decision! Our next stop was Wal Mart to do a bit of shopping. Within the first half hour, my friend (fully knowing that I am trying to eat healthy and lose weight) asked me if I’d want to buy some macaroni and cheese and candy to eat later. I politely reminded her both times that I was trying to eat healthy. She laughed and was apologetic for offering two times in a row.

When we left Wal Mart, she asked if we could stop by Starbucks. Now this is not SO bad because there are healthy choices there, but the temptation is still high for someone struggling. Luckily, I resisted and just asked for an ice water.

Later that night she proceeded to talk to me about how she couldn’t decide whether to order mozzarella sticks or mini burgers from Applebee’s. (We weren’t even there yet!).

Instead of Applebee’s, we ended up heading to grab snacks from a local supermarket later that night. While I was frantically searching for a good healthy, quick meal to grab (they had closed down the salad bar), she then “lovingly” offered to “buy the chips and you can by the dip!”

I have to admit; I got a little snappy at this point and felt kind of guilty afterwards. I just don’t understand how people can be so insensitive to something that they KNOW you are working so hard at. But at the same time, I have to remind myself that she has never struggled with her weight, and she doesn’t realize that eating can be an addiction just like drugs or alcohol.

Later that night I laughed with her that from now on I would just make a habit of eating a foot long veggie sub pre-hang out with her to avoid temptation.

No comments: