So one of the things that has really amazed me over the past couple of years are that my friends are shrinking. You know how they say that most people gain weight after high school and college and you end up not seeing them for a couple years and then you do and you think in your mind "wow, they've gained weight." (yes we all do this, it is unfortunate human nature). Well I have to say....quite the opposite has happened with me. It seems like every time a friend I haven't seen in a while posts a picture on facebook, or I see them in person, they have shrunk!! Honestly, I can't even tell you the amount of girls I've gone to high school and college with that are now way skinnier than before. The most frustrating thing about it is that most of these girls were "average" to begin with. Now I'm not jumping to any kind of conclusion other than that they have just been working out and exercising. But still feelings rage inside my selfish head that say things like "Why them?! They already looked good before! It must be easier for them than it is for me. Life is unfair!!"
To be honest, these feelings have really just gotten me down lately. I know that I've lost almost 25 pounds, but seeing these girls that already looked great and now they look even better presents a kind of knife in the wound feeling. Ever heard of the saying "God, if you can't make me skinny, at least make all my friends fat?" Well that's how I'm feeling right. A big pity party and I think I just need to snap out of it and stop feeling sorry for myself.
Why, God, Why?!?!?!
To be honest, these feelings have really just gotten me down lately. I know that I've lost almost 25 pounds, but seeing these girls that already looked great and now they look even better presents a kind of knife in the wound feeling. Ever heard of the saying "God, if you can't make me skinny, at least make all my friends fat?" Well that's how I'm feeling right. A big pity party and I think I just need to snap out of it and stop feeling sorry for myself.
Why, God, Why?!?!?!
15 comments:
lol
thats how my one friend feels about me she was skinny when i was fat then she gained almost to the tee of what i was and im not skinny but she cnat believe i lost the weight nad she gained she says it all the time and that she is proud of me too but she want me to fat again lol
its funny i get how ya feel
girl. i feel ya in a sense that ALL my friends are a size 0 or 2. Their legs are the size of my arms... when I stand next to them in pictures it's like BAM!! who's that fat girl? I just don't look like i fit in with the crowd! UGHH. depressing much? But no worries.. soon (HOPEFULLY) we will be right there with 'em! .. well.. i'm not ever gonna be a size 2, but you get the picture!
<3
I don't understand it either, it seems like none of my friends struggle with loosing weight like I do... of course I have to say A LOT of the were the dreaded "A" word which I refuse to say and actually almost made it seem normal to be that way! I prefer the good old diet and exercise and not loosing my hair thank you- one my my roommates has only been recovered for less than a year and has little frizzies all around her head from the hair she lost. NOT WORTH IT
It always kills me when I see people who didn’t need to lose weight lose weight. I do the same thing as you! I throw myself a pity party and say “Why me? Why do I have to struggle with my weight? I think about food and gain weight!” But you know what? At least we’re doing something about it. We are getting healthier and losing weight and that’s what counts! Keep your chin up! :-)
http://finallygettinghealthyin2010.blogspot.com/
Dude. Try growing up with a skinny-mini little sister with gorgeous thick, flowing brown hair who always had all the boys hanging off her every word. I know exactly how you feel, and I've felt it every year of my life. "Why her? Why not me?" Eventually it'll happen. We're all beautiful in our own way.
That's crazy! & unfair, i agree. Most of my friends are too thin, thin or average & look amazing. I want to be average & amazing! :) (you know, curvy but not fat!)
One good way to look at this is that they are healthy and so are you-once you get to your goal they won't be trying to encourage you to eat bad with them~
Whatever you do, do NOT move to Los Angeles. ;-)
Comparisons will kill ya. Just like they can't know what is going on with you, you can't know what is going on with them.
I prefer to think that they are miserable, starving and maintain their sleek shapes my sacrificing kittens to some mysterious weight-loss god that I have yet to discover.
Hang in there.
I wish I had something really great to say, but I don't really have this problem because I am OLD. HA! HA! Most of my friends from high school and college have had a bunch of kids and are struggling with the same extra weight that I am. I do have skinny friends and recently I've tried to use a couple of them as mentors (with or without their knowledge-LOL). I want to see what they do. Do they exercise a lot? Do they eat small portions? If they are doing something healthy (not like my friend who just doesn't eat-period), I think about whether what they do would fit into my lifestyle. Good luck!
You never know, they could be looking at you and saying the same thing! I know that I have seen major differences in your pics. I think it's also important for you to realize that you should be happy that they are getting "even more healthy" because that really is something that you're learning to put more value on for yourself.
Just trying to make you feel better :)
Hey thanks for stopping by my blog today, I'm gonna start following yours now. As far as feeling deprived because of your high school friend's Facebook pics, here's my opinion:
Based on the pictures you've posted, you seem to have (1) a LOT of fun in life, (2) a great relationship with your husband,(3) great friends, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of those friends on Facebook would love to have what you have in those categories. Maybe I'm reading a little too much into seeing a few pictures, but I somehow I don't think so.
And if you keep up what you're doing, the pounds will fall. You just have to accept your aren't one of those people (neither am I!) who can eat what they feel like and stay skinny.
Do I know that feeling! I graduated way back in 1992 and those girls just got more beautiful. sigh....
I know I will get there one day. We all will.
I just found your blog, and can totally relate to your post girly!
Most of my friends are fat, but all the kids I went to high school with are still thin and tan and fantastic. They don't just look good - they're all athletic, too. Not fair.
It sucks, for sure. But... what a great source of motivation! I know it's not a competition... but it doesn't hurt to have something to aim for - the day when you stand next to them and feel like the skinny one!
Post a Comment