Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life Without Pizza is No Life At All

Yes, this is an actual magnet on our fridge. And it is just so true: pizza- the food of the gods! This amazing dish spans countries and generations. And here at our house, pizza makes a very regular appearance.

Last week I got an inkering (is this a word??!) for some good pizza grub. But since my goal mainly has been to take my favorite dishes and transform them into lower calorie goodness, I was presented with a challenge....

I can't remember who asked the question, but I was reading a blog a couple of weeks ago where someone asked ways to make a lower calorie pizza. Someone suggested using the la tortilla wraps for a crust (possibly Kaitlin @ Everyday Grace??). So I scooted on over to my local Albertson's and picked up some la tortillas, and some other ingredients:I was a little skeptical of the tortilla for a crust....but I decided to try it. I put the ingredients together and broiled it in the oven. Then I wrapped it up like a burrito. And can I just say....YUMMMMMM
If you saw my food journal for the past couple of weeks you would be quite surprised to see the entry "PIZZA WRAP" in their QUITE a few times. Rough calculations say this delicious lunch is about 250 calories. But it is FILLING! Man, I was surprised how long this kept me full.

Last night I ventured into the real crust world. I figured it was probably a good idea to use some frozen crust I had picked up at Trader Joe's a while ago (A garlic and herb dough). I used essentially the same ingredients, except the dough. OH! and I added some pineapple. SO good. And of course this was spilt with my eating machine hubby so I beefed his up a bit. Can you tell which side is mine?!If you missed it, I also made some mini pizzas on Sandwhich Thins on Sunday. However, I would HIGHLY recommend the pizza wrap over the minis!!Well those are my pizza creations....that's a wrap (no pun intended...ok maybe it was...)!

16 comments:

liveLAUGHsing. said...

um YUM pizza! (: love the ideas!

Jessica - cbgblog said...

I love pizza... DELICIOUS!
Well get working out to ABBA... right now!!!!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. Looks delish!

Love the blog. Would you like to exchange links?

http://justanotherstupidweightlossblog.blogspot.com/

KathyR said...

Pizzaholic here!

The sandwich thins were disappointing? What if you toasted 'em real crispy first? Gonna have to try that myself.

The tortilla thing just doesn't work for me. Not bready enough. Still good, but not pizza. You know?

kimert said...

Pizza is my all time fave food. And I am lucky to have a hubby who loves the kitchen and cooking. He has come up with his own recipe for home made crust.. I'm talking mix all the ingredients in the bowl and let the dough rise kinda crust! It is sooo good and actually on the healthy side!

Tonyne said...

Mmmm pizza.

Continuous Changes said...

Yum, I am going to have to try the pizza wraps! I love pizza! Haven't had it in months!

Anonymous said...

Here you are! Glad I was able to make it over here. Been gone a few days. I love homemade pizza! Yumm!

Alexia said...

I'm def. trying this next week! On pita bread!

Melissa said...

Looks good. I agree that life without pizza is no life at all. :)

Ellen said...

I'm so ready for PIZZA! Thanks for the ideas.

Jen's Journey said...

hey, these are my favorite wraps!! I will have to try this out! Thanks!!

The Sweet Tooth Obliteration Operation said...

Oh my gosh I am a definite pizza lover too! I recently found a recipe for "healty pizza" using fat free cheddar cheese and veggies and lean meat on a whole wheat or oat bran bagel and can't wait to try it out!

Tricia said...

Love the new blog! And youre right, pizza is a staple in my diet :)

Jessica - cbgblog said...

It is an Italian Cream Soda just in one of the cups. I don't like coffee so I stay away from anything remotely flavored like it.

Patti said...

Okay, this post made me CRAVE pizza!!! Thanks for the idea about turkey pepperoni! I am making some flatbread pizzas tonight and I am SO EXCITED! I will be sure to post pics!