Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Breakfast on the run

My work schedule is amazing. I usually have to be to work by 12:30pm and I leave by 5:30pm. I work about 25 hours a week. To put it simply, I am blessed with my mornings to myself.

Anyway, today I had to be at work super early. I kind of ran out the door and FORGOT to eat breakfast, or grab any kind of healthy snacks. Now, everyone probably knows this is a BIG nono when living a healthy lifestyle, because...

1. you should eat breakfast to keep your metabolism regular
2. you should not skip a meal because then you will be hungry! and hungry=binge eating (for me anyway)
3. failure to plan is planning to fail right?!?! If I don't bring healthy snacks with me everywhere I go, I end up creating some dumb excuse that it's ok to eat the junk that is easily accessible

Since I usually have a decent amount of time in the mornings to make myself breakfast, I usually eat some kind of "cooked" meal- egg white omelet, low fat waffles with banana and pb, etc.

So my question to you all:

What is your favorite "on the go" breakfast?

17 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Laughing cow cheese on a toasted English Muffin.

2% String Cheese & Grapes

Always a glass of milk.

BEE said...

south beach diet crispy meal bar
chocolate ones

or my protein shake

liveLAUGHsing. said...

girl i feel ya! if i don't plan out my food for the day or forget my lunch or dinner for in between work and school, i get all crazy on the food!
i usually just grab two pieces of fruit.. it's easy & it's quick!
(:

kimert said...

Fruit. Usually a banana. I also like plain rice cakes with a smidge of Nutella.

Jennifer said...

I love to grab a Greek Yougurt with Flax Seed sprinkled on it.

Tonyne said...

Smoothies! I put them together the night before in the magic bullet glass, then in the morning I blend and go! Easy to drink in the car or at my desk. :)

Alexia said...

I try not to eat on the go. It's always best for me to sit and enjoy and really focus on properly chewing (not attacking) my meal.

But! If I have to run out of the house, I grab a yogurt, toss some granola on it, grab a spoon, and speed walk to the train station.
And that's why my ex-boyfriend once pulled a silver spoon from my back pocket :)

Unknown said...

I am a big fan of Special K Protein Water, a Fiber One bar and an apple. It's all easy to transport, easy to clean up (haha!) and very filling. It keeps me definitely full up until lunch, plus gives me a good serving of protein, fiber and starts the day off with fruit! There's plenty of flavors of Special K and Fiber One to keep me interested. Easy!

Jessica - cbgblog said...

During the work week I don't allow a lot of time to get up and cook breakfast since I have a commute. For the first 30-45 min I am up I am not hungry. By the time I am, I am on the road.

My favorite "on the go" is a low-fat Eggo with smart balance better... DELICIOUS!

Tiff said...

So apparently I inspired you to write about breakfast? lol :) :)

jussstt kidding!

My favorite on the go breakfast is egg whites on ww muffin and a slice of nf cheese. I know this may not sound super quick but I swear it is, I can make one in under five minutes and then you just take it with you.

Or you could have one of my favorite things ever: Peanut Butter Cookie Luna Bar- no prep and def on the go!

Tiff said...

ooops my bad big shot! lol :P

Candace said...

I love tomato-basil rice cake with hard cheese-so yummy-throw in baggie.

Melissa said...

i'm really bad about breakfast. By the time i'm ready for it, it's 8:30 or 9 AM & i'm at work. So usually if i can't get myself to eat at 6:30 before leaving for work then i grab a granola bar & throw it in my purse. And not just any granola bar: Fiber One Oats & Chocolate! OMG, it's purty durn good! And full of protein & such!

I also like peanut butter on a whole wheat mini bagle.

Whitney said...

Vitatops, Special K Protein Bars, or FiberOne Bars - all delicious and easy to take with you!

Melissa said...

I used to be horrible about eating breakfast. Usually I am not hungry when I get up and if I didn't have so much time in the morning getting my boys off to school, I probably wouldn't ever eat it (which is bad, I know). Luckily, I wind up with over 2 hours from the time I get up until I get the last one out the door and on the bus. By that time I am usually ready to eat. I don't have an "on the go" favorite (since I assume we aren't including the McDonald's breakfast sandwiches I ate in my former life-LOL). I usually have a bowl of cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. If I had to have something to take with me, I would probably grab an english muffin. You can toast it quickly and take it with you pretty easily.

Mallory said...

I leave oatmeal in my desk drawer at work for occasions like this. I'm a huge fan of bananas and chocolate milk too. Oatmeal is definitely the fav though!

Simply Life said...

I looove breakfast foods so much!

To answer you question - I didn't really notice too much of a difference with the flax. However, I recently made bread with it and I could definitely tell a more nuttier taste there, that I actually really enjoyed!