Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chocolate and French Fries=My Demise

I honestly believe that if chocolate and french fries did not exist in this world I could have reached my goal weight and been a success story by now (not that losing 24.5 is not a success, but you know what I mean).

I have to be honest with you all. I have eaten a massive amount of these two things in the last week.

Chocolate:
It all started with the Hungry Girl's "chocolate chip mini pancake recipe." I knew I shouldn't have even given in to buying the ingredients for this recipe because I knew that having chocolate chips in my house causes me to overeat on sweet things. Yes, you heard it right, I will literally eat plain chocolate chips out of the bag until they are gone. And that is just what I have been doing for the last two weeks!

Lesson learned: I will NOT keep chocolate chips in my cupboard. If I HAVE to make a recipe which requires this product, I will pawn it off onto a skinny friend to devour and enjoy!

French Fries:
The consumption of french fries is like a giant snowball effect in my life. It all started last week when I somehow justified in my mind that if I ordered a sandwich and french fries for lunch and then just didn't eat anything for the rest of the day I would be fine.
Healthy living, right?!

That was on Tuesday last week. It then turned into a downward spiral and by Sunday I had justified myself into eating french fries/onion rings four times in one week.
(And yes, Kristen, I did say I was going to admit this to only you, but my revelation about these food products was something I felt compelled to share! haha)

Now I'm not saying that YOU can NEVER have these things. But for ME, these foods are major triggers and I end up overeating every.single.time I consume them.

I'm not ready to give them up altogether (what would life be with chocolate and french fries??!). However, I am willing to recognize that I need to practice some serious self control if and when I do choose too!

What foods are your triggers?





29 comments:

Kimmi said...

Ugh French Fries are my downfall too...actually anything made with potatoes starts a downward spiral into bingeing....

Ellen said...

Chocolate and french fries, love 'em both but not to excess. My trigger foods keep changing. When I eliminate one a new one pops up. Right now I eat to much Cool Whip Free (not such a bad thing but I plan on not buying any Cool Whip anymore). I stopped buying VitaTops because I liked them too much, just like WW ice cream - no more for me. I just need something to binge on. Why can't it be carrots or celery?

kimert said...

Cupcakes. They're just too cute to pass up most of the time. Oh, oh and those little munchkins from Dunkin. And usually if I give in to the sweet my salty buds start talking and I need chips or fries. But you don't have to spread the word! lol

And thank goodness I have NOT had any binging moments as of late.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I love reading your blog because a lot of times you describe me. There are many times where I don't like to buy stuff for a recipe because I don't want it in my house. Chocolate chips are the perfect example! I can keep whole chocolate bars in the house. Just not the chips! I think just because they have the word "chips" in them and come in a crinkly bag my body assumes they are a snack!

It's ok to admit you eat junk food sometimes! I actually like to admit that I do. And I like to admit that there are times I literally have NO self control. Because I'm not perfect. I don't eat healthy all the time. :)

Missy said...

Chocolate/sweets have been a huge trigger for me lately (I too cannot leave a bag of choc chips just laying around the house) so I have eliminated sweets for 5-weeks. After the 5 weeks, when I hope to have broken the craving my body has developed, I will try to incorporate sweets in a healthy way...until then it is total avoidance!

KathyR (Older/Better) said...

Pizza!

French fries, too!

Anything potato-ish, really. I LOVE potatoes. Must be the Irish in me.

Debbie said...

Chips are definitely my biggest trigger! But for me... ANYTHING can be a trigger if I'm in "that mood".

I love HG's mini chocolate chip pancakes! I used to make them for breakfast on the weekends. Hmmm... might have to do that this weekend!

Laura said...

I find that food in general is my problem haha. No seriously! If I start to eat I overeat. It's baaad. Especially lately. But if I have anything sugar/sweet then I am off for about a month and that is where I am at right now. I need to just cut it out completely again and be DONE with it. Ugh.

Alexia said...

One word: PASTA.

Alexia said...

Oh, and baked mac n' cheese.

Alexia said...

And how could I forget about Chinese food.

Alexia said...

But, really, anything and everything delicious!

Tonyne said...

Chex Mix, peanut butter and milk chocolate are my worst ones, but even cheese sometimes will set me off. Oh and potato chips, chocolate covered pretzels...cheez-its. Jeez, it might be easier to say what ISN'T a trigger food.

Miss Erika said...

Oh man. What isn't a trigger would be a better question. I overeat on chocolate, cheese, sweets like cupcakes and brownies, chips, butterscotch morsels, cheese, even cereal sometimes. I'm kind of ridiculous. When I'm alone at home at night...I just eat everything. I'm a bored eater and don't know what to do about it except not be home.

Melissa said...

I do ok with chocolate - i love it & crave it - but if i have 2-4 hershey hugs or kisses, then i'm good.

CHIPS - MAJOR downward spiral.

Even chips i'll eat just once a day for a minute.

Fast food is what sends me on a downward spiral. If i could close them all...

Kerri & Katie said...

Peanut Butter. I can't keep it in my room here at school while trying to lose weight. I will eat spoonful after spoonful. It's horrible!

financecupcake said...

Yummy carbs trigger me. Once I start eating cookies, the whole package magically disappears. Poor you - you are triggered by sweet and salty/greasy stuff! That's double tough.

Anonymous said...

Chocolate. Brownies. Cookies.

Tricia said...

hmmmm...pizza, french fries, pasta. Can you tell I like carbs? :)

BEE said...

mine are fat free ice cream
and cheese fries or when i am pmsing chocolate is why i havent reached my goal yet lol

Patti said...

Yesterday my husband was giving me a bad time for me eating an entire footlong at Subway (see my blog) but it was a healthy Subway sandwich; there are far worse things to eat!!!

Chocolate isn't an area of struggle for me AT ALL. I have a huge bag of semi sweet choc chips in my freezer (from back when I used to bake sweets) and I will have a handful every now and then to satisfy a sweet tooth urge but I don't struggle with it.

Carbs on the other hand?? Pasta, bread, biscuits, pizza, cake, FRIES....all vices. I can't let myself have fries now because I KNOW I will overeat them. I got a grilled chicken sandwich today at Burgerville and was sooooo tempted to get fries because they are SO DARN GOOD but I was strong and got the side salad instead. I feel like I am not doing GREAT with food but not bad.

So if you gave me chocolate and a biscuit to choose from, I would choose the biscuit hands down. :)

Jessica - cbgblog said...

goodness. hard question... I love carbs! I can't keep dinner rolls/breadsticks around... I will eat ALL of them!

I have the ability to not eat things but once they are put infront of me I have a hard time saying no. Now, once I do say no... I'm good. But if I let myself have one... then I will eat EVERYTHING!

Candace said...

Chocolate, Cheese, anything with Sugar or salt, I'll eat a sweet then to counteract all the sweet in my mouth I'll have something salty-its a vicious cycle~

Kyle said...

While I can't say it has to be this extreme, but an alcoholic has to imagine a lifetime without alcohol. Not a beer at the Superbowl, not a glass of wine at their daughter's wedding, nothing.

If you have a food addiction with certain trigger foods, it may have to come down to total avoidance. To my knowledge, there isn't a 12 step program that allows for alcohol in moderation.

Again, I know it is harsh, but I've been avoiding trigger foods for me, e.g. pizza, french fries, soda, etc. because I know the potential outcomes.

Perhaps when I've fully caught the health and fitness religion, those may no longer be triggers, but for now..they are like alcohol to the alcoholic.

Anonymous said...

I also love eating chocolate chips out of the bag.
My trouble foods are chicken wings and chips.

Yvonne said...

My triggers are good crusty bakery bread with Brie, homemade chocolate chip cookies, candy especially wine gums and red licorice, ice cream and chocolate. Patti said "So if you gave me chocolate and a biscuit to choose from, I would choose the biscuit hands down. :)" Given MY triggers I'd put the chocolate in the buscuit and make a sandwich! I discovered freezing chocolate didn't work; I needed a chocolate fix and couldn't wait until it thawed....the rest is history....I love frozen chocolate because it melts sooooooo slowly in your mouth and lasts a long time.

Tami said...

For me it is sweets and chips. With some foods it is easier not to start eating them than it is to stop!

Mr.s Gokey said...

Pizza!!!! And Reeses Peanut Butter cups.

Sunshine Mama said...

dougnuts. Not good.

At least now you know to just not take that first bite or to keep them in your house.