Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Confessions, A Sore Booty, A New Person

Well this weekend was a rocky one. I want to be able to be honest with you all, but I also don't want you to get bored of my confessions of overeating so I'm going to keep it simple. This weekend I was there with food about 50%. That is not ok in my books, but I DO know that I can and will press forward and each day is a new day to choose a healthy life.

As far as my bike trip to Alki on Saturday. I also really wish I could tell you all that it was fun and that I really enjoyed it. I REALLY wish I could tell you all this. But I feel the need to be honest with you all about it.

It was pretty miserable!

Let's just say taking my bike out for [essentially] the first time on such a long trip was NOT a good idea. I knew that my butt would hurt a little bit from riding, but I honestly had no idea how sore I would be from riding just for TEN minutes. The whole trip I really struggled to stay up with the guys. In the end, Kellen and I agreed that I need a new bike. I had gotten this one for free and it has a lot of things just wrong with it that made it really hard to ride.

Not to mention my butt. I had to come home and ice it afterward. It was so painful by the end of the trip I was literally in tears. I do know that butt pain is normal when you first start riding, but I am convinced that this seat was worse and made it more painful than usual! I was about to call off bike riding altogether until the end when I got to switch bikes with one of the guys- and I felt saved! The seat felt comfortable, the bike was EASY to ride, it just felt like a total 180 from mine.

To sum things up, I will not be venturing out on another ride until I can get a proper bike!!

I will show you a cute pic of me riding anyway just for kicks:
As far as Tiff's I AM WORTH MORE CHALLENGE--this comes with another confession :( I was feeling pretty crummy after all my cheats this weekend...and I kind of peeked at the scale this morning. I realize this TOTALLY defeats the purpose of not letting the # on the scale affect you...and I feel frustrated that I would give in to that temptation. (To be honest the number more made me feel like I didn't deserve it...I am down one pound.)

HOWEVER. I am really, really happy I did this challenge. After so many bumps in the road this weekend, it could have been so easy to say "you just can't do this." But when I thought of what I had written throughout the week on those post it's, it encouraged me to know that I CAN and HAVE made positive decisions that have helped take care of my body.

Therefore, although the challenge ended today, I am going to be spinning off of this challenge and writing small notes in my food journal of positive actions I have taken. That way, I can look back and see that I really have taken steps forward NO MATTER WHAT the scale says.

This week I am refocusing. My goal is simple: starting intensity. I want to have and feel that same intense feeling I felt when I first started this journey.

One last bit of joyfulness:

I went to church yesterday and it turns out I have a huge group willing to run with me at the St. Patty's Day Dash!

I also got TWO (count em, TWO) "I didn't even recognize you from across the room" comments.
Apparently I've changed in more ways that just my eyes can see!

17 comments:

kimert said...

It is SO hard to ride for long if you haven't been on a bike much. I have been there done that with the whole sore booty! No fun! But be proud that you went and YOU DID IT! :) As far as the challenge, I can join you in that I did the same thing as you. :( I promised myself this morning that I would big the challenge back up and keep going with it though!
Woohoo on all the comments! YOu have transformed! :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I hate to say this but, I told ya! My butt hurts so bad after riding my stupid bike. No matter how many times I ride it. I need one of those cushy seats. And probably the cushy pants too haha!

I too had a bad weekend with food. At least you were there 50% of the time. I was more like.... NONE.

What's important is getting back on track. It's Monday. Time to start over again :)

Continuous Changes said...

There is an opportunity to learn from our bad days/weeks. That is what I love most about this journey is that we can learn about ourselves and our bodies. My body looks and feels totally different than it did 6 months ago and I really can't believe it. Keep pushing and learning from yourself, because you can and WILL do this :)

Tonyne said...

That sounds sooo painful. :/ I have a bike, I rarely ride it though because it hurts. I do see these larger bike seats at Wal-Mart that you can buy and install, I think if maybe I did that, maybe I would ride my bike. :)

Melissa said...

I LOVE that pic of you! You are too cute!!!

I am so sorry that was a miserable trip! You are a real trooper for sticking it out! Take a look at my bike - i think the brand is Raleigh (how sad is that, i forgot!) & i LOVE it. It has a comfort type seat & it's not uncomfy at all. But you still get plenty of exercise, believe me! They aren't CHEAP - but they're the best bikes! I love mine! It's green!

And i didn't do perfect w/ the challenge either b/c i didn't decide to do it til i'd already looked at the scale. I'm thinking about doing it THIS week instead & posting my pic next week! HA. Better late than never, right? But i love your idea of writing small victories in your notebook. =)

Debbie said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough weekend! I hate it when that happens... I look forward to weekends so much, so it's heartbreaking when they aren't as good as I expect. But if you ate on-plan 50%, that is SO much better than 0%, which is what I do when I'm having a rough day. And you sound like you're really bouncing back from everything - it will only get better from here! Small victories - that's what it's about.

And thanks for commenting on my blog - yay for my first "follower"!

Candace said...

You are so cute :)

Alexia said...

Yayyy for people not being able to recognize you! That's majorly always awkward (for me at least)! (And hey, shhhhhh...I cheated once on Tiff's challenge :)

KathyR (Older/Better) said...

Squishy seats and padded pants, the only ways to go!

erica said...

Yay for unrecognizable comments! Biking hurts my butt so much!

The Sweet Tooth Obliteration Operation said...

Im sorry the biking was so painful... I can't do spin class because it just hurts my butt to darn much! I also had a cheat weekend and of course all the water retention killed me today, I am so jealous you are still down one pound, you must have been spot on for the rest of the week despite a weekend where you were only there 50% with food.

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

Hope you are feeling better from your bike ride! Scales can be so evil and addictive. I myself need to keep away from them and keep the eating lean and clean. Feels so much better that way :)

Tiff said...

Sorry the biking experience was sucky- man there is nothing worse than being uncomfortable when working out...no lie- a pic of you icing your bum would be pretty hilarious though.

As far as the challenge- I'm glad you're taking away from it what you did- I'm going to try and keep parts of it with me this week too!

Keep it up girl, I feel like this is crunch time and the time when it feels oh so easy to give in (I'm feeling it!) Let's get that starting intensity back! We can do it!!!!!

financecupcake said...

Being there 50% with food isn't perfect, but it could have been a lot worse. It's always tough (for me anyway) to get going again after not being perfect. I'm glad to see you're back here! That's too bad about your crappy bike. :(

Missy said...

YAY for the fun comments - it's great when people notice the difference that is sometimes hard to see in ourselves!!

Tricia said...

great job getting refocued!

Alexia said...

Good grief. That bike ride does sound miserable. I can feel how bad that was so for. But, hey, I'm glad it got better!