Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I want to start by saying thank you to all the supporting comments from my "God and Weight Loss" post. I was especially happy to see that even people who do not share my same beliefs could encourage me in that way. That really moved me!! Thank you all!

I have a BIG dream for this summer....to grow a vegetable garden. Now, for a normal person maybe this wouldn't seem like such a big, unattainable dream. But for me, it is. Why? Because I am a plant killer. I have literally killed every plant I've come in contact with. GRR!

But I am determined. I would be SO happy to be able to just have one salad from my dedication!

So yesterday I took a little trip to the library and checked out a bunch of books on vegtable gardening:Then Kellen and I took a trip to home depot and picked up these babies:
I am going to be reading up in the next couple of weeks until it's the proper time to start planting. I'm nervous everyone!!

Does anyone have some good tips on vegetable/fruit gardening they could share?

18 comments:

Tonyne said...

I did some bell peppers and herbs on my patio last year, they did great and I'm terrible with plants! This year I'm aiming for cherry tomatoes and peppers. Good luck to you! I wish I had space for a big garden! :)

Kimmi said...

I too am a plant killer...my mom finally just gave me some bamboo and told me to just water it once a week...and then leave it alone. Happy to say it is still alive! Good luck with your garden though!

Jenn said...

I don't have the patience to grow veggies, but we have a huge garden that my hubby maintains. He does all the work and I reap all the yummy veggies when they're ripe. Can't wait for spring!!! We live in the Seattle area too and this half-assed winter is really getting to us!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I am horrible with plants. I did grow basil last year and it was ok. I think I watered it too much though!

Continuous Changes said...

We are taking our koi pond out of our backyard and I think you just gave me the idea I have been looking for! I want to grow a garden as well. That would be awesome because I love me some fresh veggies. My parents did a strawberry garden when I was growing up and it was so awesome! good luck with it :)

Tricia said...

what a great goal!

Unknown said...

I tried a garden last year and failed, but I am going to try again this year!!!! I think I am going to do my herbs in pots this year though, seemed easier to maintain and i can tell what is a weed and what is a herb or veggie! Where i live there are TONS of weeds that grow so this year we are laying down the landscaping cloth. I am super excited! I live in the middle/top of Washington State, and our winter has just not happened so I am antsy to get out there.... :) no snow means I should be able to get started right!!! oh yeah, that frost thing...still happening!

Caitlin said...

I had my very first garden last year, and it was great. My only reservation was that I had so much that it spoiled. This year I'm going to remedy that because I'm taking a food preservation class through our 4-H extension office with my soon-to-be sis-in-law.

One tip is that when you grow tomatoes, grow parsley right along with it. It will help it grow better.

Melissa said...

YAY! I have NOOOO green thumb either, but hubby was saying recently that he wants us to have a garden. And then i got all into it. Not now though - no yard. :( But when we have a house! I am going to be emailing you for help! Because i'm sure you'll be an expert by then! :)

Sunshine Mama said...

I just read yesterday's post. You are right, God wants us to treat our bodies well. He wants us to put what's best for us in our bodies. That's why he created such wonderful food. When we put in man-made perversions like sugar and white flour, our bodies respond by not functioning the way they were meant to function.
I really enjoyed reading that post.

I'm also excited for you to do this garden. My mom is a huge gardener, but I am not. So, unless you talk to her...I won't be much help, unless, of course, I take up gardening. Ha, Ha. Which is possible. You never know. But I'd love to see how your efforts go.

Amber said...

I've heard herbs are impossible to kill! I have a friend who is a thumb of death (she kills everything too) and can't get her herbs to die! Might be something to try :)

Alexia said...

I'm excited for you!

Anonymous said...

One time a friend of ours rented a big tiller for a day and he came over to our house and we tilled a big area to grow a garden, went out and bought a bunch of wood for the borders, and that was it...never touched it again...the grass eventually grew back in and we pitched the wood...that's as close as we've come to gardening.

Mr.s Gokey said...

Check out my Blog!! I just gave you an award!!

Tiff said...

Sorry friend, you'll be getting no words of wisdom from me on this one :) Good luck though! lol

divad said...

I like veggie gardening in container pots...cherry tomatoes look gorgeous in a hanging basket. I've always had luck with watermelons, in terms of fruit. Green beans - not so well. I really recommend container gardening...I've had more success with that method.

Alexia said...

Hey, come pick up an award from my blog!

Lucy said...

All the plants in my house are plastic!! I have tried growing my own herbs but the farthest I've gotten is buying the pots and the pkgs from the store!! "Maybe" this year.

My boss grows her own tomatoes and they are like, 10x's better than store bought!! No joke! She always gives me quite a few and I take each and everyone!!!