Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What To Eat

I must ask this question as soon as possible as to not forget: does anyone else find google reader really annoying? Is there any way to comment on people's posts other than having to click on and go into their blog? I feel like it takes up too much time! I have been blog slacking!

Today I started reading a great book:
The intent of my reading going forward is to get a jump start on my career in nutrition. I was recommended this book by a Certified Nutritionist I recently met and am really happy so far. I plan to do a bit of a mini book report on each chapter here on my blog so I can keep track of what I am learning.

Nestle caught me within the first chapter. Her intent in this book is to take the reader through a supermarket and educate them about why and how to select your food. She begins by stating what some may say is the "obvious mantra" to dieting and exercise: eat less, move more, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, go easy on the junk food.

Easy enough right? However, because of sly advertising techniques being used by so many of our food distributors today, we are confused. Food labels splash hundreds of promises- "low fat, omega-3 fats, high in fiber...etc...etc" how can we truly begin to understand what's really important?

One thing that really struck me is the way in which supermarkets and food distributors have gotten consumer persuasion down to a science. Did you know that companies pay for the spot that they are shelved (called Slotting Fees)? Or how about that appearance in the weekly ad- we can be sure that cost a pretty penny. Nestle suggests these tactics take away most of the decision from the customer and places the power in the food distributor and supermarkets hands.

Think about the last time you walked in the grocery store. Did you stick to your list or did you ad those items you just HAD to pass to get to the dairy section? Did you buy that conveniently placed bag of potato chips that was on such a great sale? How often do you grab things from the very top, or very bottom of a shelf--probably not very often?

Did you know that America produces roughly 3,900 calories in food per day for every man? No wonder our obesity rates in America are skyrocketing! Food companies will not risk giving up profit by making less food- so what option does that leave them? They sell it- in every way they can.

Let's take the power of food shopping and place it back in our own hands. Let's educate ourselves on how to select and what to look for at our local supermarket. Grab a cart and join me:

What to Eat: An Aisle by Aisle Guide to Savvy and Good Eating
by Marion Nestle
(let me know if you'd like to read along with me!)

14 comments:

Laura said...

I just started my weight loss journey about 3 weeks ago and I don't know why but this time I can feel it in my bones that this is "the time" it's going to work. For this first time in all my WL journeys I've very interested in nutrition and how it all works in our bodies. Instead of just finding what I call "dieters food", you know, that chemically treated and processed junk I've tried to stick to whole foods,and organic produce. I hope to get the book but if for some reason life gets away from me I look forward to your mini book reports :)

Tonyne said...

Sounds like an informative read. I will have to add it to my library list. :)

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to only shop on the outside isles of the grocery store... veggie, meet and dairy. I go into the interior for a few things like cereal, peanut butter etc. I never go to the grocery store without a list! I keep it in my blackberry and add to it as we need throughout the week.
I think that I would really like to read that book... it may give me more ideas. :)

Anonymous said...

I interviewed Marion Nestle back when I was a food writer and found her to be smart, funny, and a good authority on nutrition. Happy reading and let us know how it goes.

Laura said...

If I wasn't reading so many other books right now I might have gone out and got this one and read along. I'll def have to keep it on my list of books to read. Sounds good!

Whitney said...

Hahah I was trying to read this post in google reader and gave up because I find it so annoying!

I'm definitely adding that book to my amazon shopping cart!

Melissa said...

This book sounds like a must read! I am going to have to try it...like Laura, i might have to wait. LOL. I have like 4 books waiting in line! LOL.

I don't do Google Reader. I go to Blogger & go thru them here. I like it better. I like going to the individual's blog & commenting. I wish ppl could comment from reader b/c i have a lot of friends who read me from there!

Alexia said...

This books sounds a lot like Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Eating."

Carrie said...

I'm reading Pollan's In Defense of Food right now. I also finished some of the Clean Eating books by Tosca Reno that I bet you'd love (if you haven't already read them.)

Candace said...

You'd probably really like the podcast "Cut the fat-Weight loss podcast" really knowledgeable too.

Barbara said...

It sounds like a great book! I look forward to your posts.

I am definitely a lot more conscious about things when I go shopping now.

I recently watched Food Inc., it also has some great insights as to America's food issues.

Anonymous said...

I just picked up this book from the library on my lunch break. You didn't mention that it's HUGE! I will have to skim, because I also picked up a few other books while I was there.

I'm looking forward to learning about which foods I should be eating and WHY. I never did quite understand that part...

Patti said...

Just reserved it at the library! I can't make any promises on how fast I will get to read it but I like the idea of empowering myself. It's like an online health oriented book club!!

Also, now that I have a toddler that I am in charge of feeding I want to be as educated as possible!!!

Gabi said...

That sounds like a very informative book. I'm looking forward to the book reports!