Good things are happening. I'm happy to say that I have ordered a new computer and it should be here in about a week! Then I will be able to share with you all my lovely photos I've been snapping.
Yesterday was such a great post. What I mean to say by that is I was really excited about all your comments and opinions on going veggie. I really appreciate ALL your feedback! A lot of you mentioned that you choose not to go full veggie because you feared you would make up for the lack of meat with other unhealthy options. This exactly sums up how I feel I think and what has held me back from going full vegetarian. I also think that it would be REALLY hard to adjust to this as my husband and family are just plain out meat eaters!
All that to say, I think for now I have decided to not go full veggie quite yet. It was actually quite strange and coincidental that I saw two other bloggers blog on the vegetarian subject yesterday too, without knowing that I had asked this question. One of them, the Fit RedHead, mentioned a new book by Hungry Girl called "The Flexatarian Diet." This books sounds like it is right down my alley- focusing on eating less meat but not eliminating it altogether. I'm going to check it out as soon as I get the chance!
Yesterday was such a great post. What I mean to say by that is I was really excited about all your comments and opinions on going veggie. I really appreciate ALL your feedback! A lot of you mentioned that you choose not to go full veggie because you feared you would make up for the lack of meat with other unhealthy options. This exactly sums up how I feel I think and what has held me back from going full vegetarian. I also think that it would be REALLY hard to adjust to this as my husband and family are just plain out meat eaters!
All that to say, I think for now I have decided to not go full veggie quite yet. It was actually quite strange and coincidental that I saw two other bloggers blog on the vegetarian subject yesterday too, without knowing that I had asked this question. One of them, the Fit RedHead, mentioned a new book by Hungry Girl called "The Flexatarian Diet." This books sounds like it is right down my alley- focusing on eating less meat but not eliminating it altogether. I'm going to check it out as soon as I get the chance!
There are definitely some other areas of my eating that I've also been focusing on changing. I mentioned in my post a couple of days ago that I am no longer buying products with aspartame in them. I've done some research and read some blogs which focus on "whole foods" eating, and that is what I'm starting to focus on. Let me tell you...this is a HUGE struggle for me. It's not easy to give up that little "sugar free treat" that has 60 calories and change to something that might very well have 200. But in the long wrong, my ultimate goal is to stop calorie counting altogether and only eat real, non processed foods as much as possible. That is what I see as "whole" foods eating.
My focus on eating is to eventually eat like this:
-eat a serving of fruit/vegetables at every meal and two snacks a day
-only whole grain carbs
-focus on foods that give me the most "bang for their buck" -or in better terms- protein packed
-drink LOTS of water (tea is ok too!)
-no processed foods
-limit sugar
-meat at only one meal a day (or none!)
-Superfoods. Load up!
and of course...portions portions portions!
That's what I'm focusing on for now. But I'm sure this list is forever changing as I learn more and more about healthy living.
9 comments:
I ended up ordering the book yesterday, it was only $18 including shipping from Amazon!! We'll have to compare notes if you read it also. I like the idea of all of the recipes that are included. That is the hardest part for me coming up with things the whole family will eat.
No processed food!?! Dang!Well hellooooo super woman- I don't think I could do it- heck, I can't even get over Splenda! I'm excited to see how this turns out for you though! :)
WOW. I am SO not there yet! BUT... i do love the whole foods living approach. Have you read "Eat This & Live" by Dan Colbert??? You should! Laura from Life Happens recommended it to me & it's awesome! You'd enjoy it.
I like my meat though & my coffee w/ splenda. But i used to drink cokes & diet cokes non-stop, so i'm doing a LITTLE better. But i am drinking more sprite zero than i'd like... Eesh!!
You are awesome!
Hey girlie-
I've been MIA lately....just checking in to see how you're doing. :)
I agree with the you and I skip all fake sugars/sugar substitutes period. I try to stick with fruit for a sweet kick and mostly drink water, milk or an occasional coffee drink as a treat.
I just discovered your blog and enjoyed the two most recent posts. I agree with you about avoiding aspartame and foods with fake stuff. I was at the store this evening and almost picked up a box of "sugar free" fudge bars for a treat for the kiddo and me. There was just a 20 calorie difference between the sugar free stuff and the real thing.
Back before I got banded, I was addicted to Mt. Dew, the full sugar stuff. My Mom kept trying to convince me to drink the diet instead. But as I said to her, I don't want to be on it at all!!! In my mind, diet soda isn't much better than the "real" stuff.
Happy to say, 80 days without a Dew. And I don't even miss it.
Flexatarian sounds like an interesting concept. I think I need to pick up some of these books being suggested.
It's weird because this is the exact way I've been trying to live. Eat more whole foods, next to no processed ones. When I started, I immediately dropped like 5 pounds! I think it's a fantastic idea and while it does require more planning and thinking it's totally worth it. :)
So glad you are kicking aspartame! That stuff is baaad for you.
I was going to recommend a book but saw Melissa already did haha. But that author is DON Colbert. Not Dan. Definitely one that would fit right in to the changes you are making and worth checking out.
We stopped eating a lot of pocessed foods a few years ago. We aren't perfect in it and I still sometimes will grab something processed because it is easier. (Hey! Life is busy and I have two kids!!) But it's not often.
I just found an old friend's blog and she is doing the real food challenge. It came about from watching Food Inc. She doesn't have a lot on there yet but she has been talking about the changes she is making (even made her own yogurt???!) and I thought you might be interested in checking it out... http://debrobertshappycamper.blogspot.com/
I like the flexitarian idea. Even giving up meat for a couple days a week does a wealth for the environment (and for you). And yeah, it would be HUGE transition for your family. I imagine your husband especially. So I see why you're taking it slow. It's important to me to marry at least a vegetarian. I don't want meat in my house or my kids eating it! So although I'm on the other side of the fence, I totally understand the whole family and food thing.
Post a Comment