First of all, thank you all for your comments yesterday. You all sure do like talking about your poo. (sickos!) hehe, jk :)
So yesterday I made myself a taco. First I heated up the ground turkey and beans, then I spread some FF sour cream on my tortilla, put the beans on, veggies, and cheese. I sat down to enjoy my lunch. I was about 3/4 of the way through when I realized I had forgot the ground turkey altogether. And honestly, the taste difference was minimal.
This is not the first time that I've gone accidental vegetarian on my meal. A couple of weeks ago I literally ate half my turkey sandwich before I realized there was no turkey on it.
How can a person do this you say? Well maybe it's because I'm not "savoring" my food like I should be. But I think not. Trust me, I enjoy food WAY too much to think that I'm not savoring it. My conclusion therefore is that maybe someone/something is trying to telling me to go vegetarian.
I've been thinking about this for a while. You could spout off tons of facts about animals having souls and such and it wouldn't affect me to much....I grew up hunting. (although I respect those opinions, I just don't share them) So why would I make this leap you ask? Well, that's what I'm asking you!
Obviously there are many health reasons for going veggie. I was actually astonished when I heard that cholesterol comes ONLY from animal products (this seems to be a given, but for some reason I didn't realize this). So going veggie=no cholesterol problems. Well since that is not quite something I'm struggling with at this stage in life, it doesn't affect me TOO much, but I'm keeping it on the radar.
I guess my point in this post is to ask you:
Are you veggie? Why? If not, have you ever considered it??
21 comments:
I eat several vegetarian meals a week, but I have no desire to completely cut meat from my diet. I think I do a pretty healthy 50/50 split right now and I'm happy with that. :)
Back in grade school, I went veggie for four or five years. I just felt better eating that way - my body felt a lot cleaner. Good luck to you! It certainly does sound like you're seeing signs to switch. WHy not give it a try?
I eat very little meat. My parents turned vegetarian when I was 11 so I grew up not realizing you should use meat in certain meals. Today I eat a veggie burger every workday for lunch. It is easy, delicious, and good for you compared to other alternatives.
I couldn't go completely without meat but I probably only have it out of 21 meals (b,l,d).... maybe 3 or 4 times... if that! *haha*
I get made fun of at work alot for it but I don't care.
I had a friend who randomly one day decided to become Vegan. She lasted 3 days and finally settled on just Vegeterian. She's then slowly added in fish but no beef.
So find whatever works for you and that you enjoy!
I'm a vegetarian!! It's been over 10 years now :) YAY ME! But it is 100% because of animal rights and such.. it has nothing to do with health reasons whatsoever.. soooo.. therefore.. I cannot help you on your decision! But I mean.. you can just leave it out when you want to leave it out..and when you want to eat it.. eat it! :)
A few years ago I was having super bad back problems. I was 24 and hadn't had any injury to cause the flare up (I was in a car accident when I was 18 and since then it gets bad every once in a while). Nothing was helping, so I started reading. I read somewhere that not eating meat could help. From about grade 7 - 2nd year University (say 13-19) I didn't eat red meat because I didn't like it. So 3 years ago I stopped eating meat again (I still eat fish occasionally...but I live on the west coast...it's too delicious). I don't usually eat many soy or tofu products (MAYBE once a week or once every 2 weeks); I mostly use beans and nuts for protein. While I can't say scientifically, I feel like my body recovers faster and my back flare ups don't last as long. Those are my thoughts; hope they're helpful!
I'm not a vegetarian and have no desire to be. :) Don Colbert is a Christian doctor who specializes in nutrition. I've read a few of his books and find he has really great advice. Anyways... while reading your post I remembered how he had said that he is not a vegetarian because Jesus was not a vegetarian. Everything in moderation though. And those are my thoughts on the topic haha.
NO WAY. I could not do it- I am a chicken/steak/beef/turkey lover but especially chicken. I think if I ever became a vegetarian then I would prob compensate by eating really bad non meat items (potatoes, pasta, etc.)
I couldn't do it-I love my meat-haha-good luck if you try it though :)
Hi Nicole. As you know, I don't eat meat. There are two things about meat eating that make me very uncomfortable:
- First of all, before animals are killed they release high levels of fear hormones that we eat when we eat meat. We are digesting violence and blood and fear. Now that can't be healthy!
- And meat doesn't digest as easily as fruit and vegetables, which is why it sits in our stomach for people. PEOPLE it not healthy to poop every other day! Even once day isn't enough. We're suppose to go after every meal, so at least twice a day.
I disagree with what Laura said above. In Genesis, Adam and Eve were clearly told to eat fruits and vegetables. Meat eating began after sin.
And your post and my post! Crazzy! I don't believe in coincidences!
And just to clarify: I meant that meat eating began after sin so I don't believe it was the original plan.
In college I went vegetarian in college when I wanted to lose 75 lbs. I lost it in 4.5 months. Yes, I was 20, but I credit it to being vegetarian. I was very specific with how I food combined to ensure I had the proper amount of plant protein and carbs. I am a firm believer that we are not meant to eat animal protein, which contain fats that we can't metabolize.
I often wish I could go back to vegetarianism, but with a hubby and 3 kids, it is hard enough trying to please everyone's palate. However, I do try to have 3 days of vegetarian days. Today, I had a tofu stir fry that I prepared early this morning for my lunch. Very satisfied, and I can't wait to make another tofu stir fry soon.
I could probably do it with no real problems but don't. I can't do things like tofu though because I am a texture eater.
I am a total carnivore! :) I don't think I could ever go vegetarian. And I am sure my family would not be happy about it at all if I tried to feed them non-meat products all the time.
However, after watching Food Inc. recently, I do think twice about what I am eating. I may have considered going veggie for a second or two while I watched it.
I think it is great that you are taking cues from your taste buds and body. Going veggie may be right for you!
I could never give up meat completely. I am more of a chicken some fish and steak. Ground beef doesn't do it for though. That I can give up. I am switching to turkey in hopes my husband really doesn't notice.. One can wish right?
We aren't huge meat eaters because organic grain fed meat is EXPENSIVE! Beans are a great alternative and I have heard good things about black bean burgers and such. One of our favorite (and easiest) dinners is a combination of black beans, corn, and salsa in corn tortillas. Delish and super low calorie. My daughter doesn't eat meat except for steak, how random. I don't like SO much of the hormones and junk that goes into meat, I wouldn't hesitate at going veggie at all!
i don't think i could ever be completly veggie but i do have veggie days. the diet i do has 3 options one mainly meat one mainly veggie and one a combination and i like to do a mix of the three.
but it helps i like quorn products and i'd rather have quorn mince than real beef mince any day.
i guess you could always give it a go. good luck and if you enjoy it stick with it if not re introduce the meat xxx
I tried to go veggie back in high school for a while, and found that the only thing I ended up eating was a lot of pasta. Maybe knowing what I know now about healthy foods, that would be a bit different, but I do love having the option to eat meat (esp. chicken and shrimp!). I've seen a lot of bloggers who decide to go veggie on certain days of the week, and that seems to work really well for them!
Whatever you decide, good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes! :)
awwww *blush* thanks for calling me beautiful. You are so sweet.
I missed it, what is wrong with computer? Don't worry about it.... just do it when you can. Or do it and you don't even have to blog about it. Just do it for yourself.
I couldn't do it. I've never really even considered it. I grew up eating meat for dinner almost every night and I still do. I don't need to eat it for more than 1 meal a day, but I can't imagine never eating it again. I love steak like some people love chocolate. :)
I did a Daniel Fast for 21 days (fruits, veggies and grains only) and after the 10th day everything that ailed my body was no longer an issue. I was listless and lethargic no more...I decided that I would become a vegetarian but eat fish on occasion. I do not miss meat and I LOVE food...ribs, hot dogs, steak, burgers, fried chicken. But surprisingly...I don't want any of those things. Its been a month and I'm excited about discovering this new healthier way of eating and cooking. Eating to live...not living to eat! I even made some delicious vegan cupcakes! But you have to listen to your body...everyone is different!
Post a Comment