Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Re-Evaluating

side note: It's pretty cute-every time I sit at the computer my pup comes and curls up on top of my feet. I like to think of her as my personal foot warmer :).

So, yesterday Chloe and I went for a run. We ran almost 3 miles in about 32 minutes. I started thinking about how I have this 5 mile run coming in May and then the 1/2 marathon in June- which I intend to run/walk.

What struck is the fact that I really just don't think I'm going to be a LONG distance runner. To be honest, I enjoy my good 30 minute runs but anything more than that takes a huge physical effort and a battle in my mind. I know that I enjoy the accomplishments of a long run, but honestly, I started running to get a good workout. And 30 minutes of running seems like a pretty good daily workout to me.

That's when I thought: well maybe I will just cap my runs at 30 minutes, but when I do races I could run longer distances? But I'm not sure if this is wise either because longer runs require you train for them properly, right?

So I think I am reevaluating my running goals...for now. I am going to stick to running 5k races (other than what I am already signed up for) and train with 30-35 minute runs (3 miles). I will re-evaluate down the road whether or not I want to up my distances, but for now, I am going to stick with what I am comfortable with and enjoy, instead of pushing myself to a point where I can't even enjoy running.

It's hard for me to admit that at this point I don't want to continue upping my distance because that is what I see so many other runner bloggers doing. But I think it's time for me to swallow my proud and accept that 3 miles of running is a great accomplishment!

14 comments:

Ellen said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The fact that you are running is fantastic but there is no need to go for distance. After all, being a runner is not your goal, is it? It's just a means to reach your goal.

Seth said...

I can see what your saying. For me though, I really want to know what I am capable of doing. I still have yet to finish my first 5k race though. Keep up your hard work.

How long did you run for to get to a 32 minute 5k?

Syl said...

Nicole,
you caught me at a good time, son is napping, dishes are done, dinner is cooking so you have my undivided attention :-)

To answer your question, my history went a little something like this:

I needed to have a "release" from my life, my every day life, from the grief. I one day woke up and decided I needed some air, I laced up my shoes and did a 3km run. I don't know where it came from but I did it. From there I decided that running was something I wanted to do. It wasn't to prove anything to anyone, it was just my way of getting by.

As I continued to run it became my favorite way to workout, I needed to incorporate excersice into my diet plan but wasn't sure how i was going to do that. I didn't have time to get a gym membership and didn't like the treadmill too much. This was my way of burning calories.

I never ran more than 3.2 km at any given time. Then my friend asked me if I wanted to run the mother's day 5km run. This was her first run too and I said sure why not. In my training from January to May of the race year I only ran the 5km distance once.

I came in at 32:31 and was quiet proud of myself. This gave me the fuel to want to do more. Slowly I started increasing my distance and 4 months later I ran a 10 k. After I ran the 10k i decided I was going to aim big and try a half marathon.

I have never followed a "training" plan I just went with what I thought I could accomplish. I slowly increased my distance. My longest distance prior to this last Sunday was 14km. It was starting to scare me and I knew that I needed to aim for more and I just did it.

Running has always been a avenue of stress release for me. I just kept pushing myself more and more.

I kept telling myself that my body is capable of more, never "I have to do that because someone else is".

Running doesn't come naturally for me, it's hard work every time I get out there, but I love to do it.

I hope that novel answers your question. You need to keep doing what is right for you and your body. If 5k is what your body is comfortable with then do 5k. 5k is an amazing achievement.

don't compare your successes to anyone else's they are yours own them!

Lucy said...

I'm with you!

Mrs. S. said...

Follow your heart-as long as it doesn't lead you to the twinkies!

Anonymous said...

I think it is okay to re-evaluate goals. If pushing yourself to run further distances will make you stop loving running and eventually quit altogether then don't do it! I think if your current 30 minute runs are working for you then stick with them. There is no shame in it!
If you want to push yourself a little more, you could always work on your speed. You could still only run for 30 minutes at a time, but go a little further than before.

Sarah said...

Well right now you are running further then me and sometimes I feel like I will never catch up. I think re looking at your goals is fine. This is about what makes you happy. Not other bloggers!!

Kyle said...

I think you are spot on. Increasing distances should be at the runner's discretion. It doesn't make you less of a runner to follow your plan.

I'm sure there are sprinters who can't stand going any further than 800km for example.

This should be fun damnit!

I "think" that I'd like to be able to run greater distances and will work at it, but like you if it ain't freaking fun...then it won't be happening.

Tonyne said...

I am kind of going around the same thing right now. I'm training for my 10k and I've done some longer runs, but I'm most comfortable with 3-4 miles. I am hoping to do a half in October but I won't agree to it fully until the 10k. I guess the 10k will be the test for me.

Just have fun, that's the only way you'll truly stick with it. :)

kaitlin said...

I totally agree that running 3 miles is a great accomplishment, as well as a great workout! There are plenty of people who just run for fitness, and not to compete in races or go long distances.

I think if you are doing a half marathon this summer, you will know the minute you cross the finish line what kind of runner you are. I loved running my half marathon and was crying 10 seconds after crossing the finish line. It was literally the best feeling in the world, and I knew I had to have it again. And that I would push myself and run a full marathon someday as well (still working on that one...).

But either way, as long as you are running, it is a very good thing, and your body and mind will thank you for it. =)

Tiffany said...

Go with your gut. You are a new runner. You may not ever have a desire to run long distance. You might get comfortable in a couple months or a year and decide to push the distance farther "just to see". Do what feels right...right now. Happy running!

MaryFran said...

Great post! You are right...accept your accomplishment and run for HAPPINESS. If you stop liking the activity, you'll stop runnning!

Tricia said...

Do what feels right for you, but don't act to quickly.

When I first stared I never thought I would run long distances. In fact, I didn't enjoy running at all but I stuck with it. Now, the part I enjoy MOST about running happens AFTER mile 6. And I wouldn't have ever experienced that if I had stopped early.

It will get easier, it will get better. Give it a shot and then make the decision.

Happy Wednesday Nicole

Tiff said...

Hi friend!

I would have to say that I agree with you- 3 miles is an accomplishment and I think until you feel the need or urge to move further- just enjoy where you are at. I think too many times on this journey we are always looking to the next pound loss, next goal met, etc. But I think for this one, just soak up the fact that you can run 3 miles :)