Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Power of Protein!

Can I say how much i LOVELOVELOVE this weight loss competition? Not only is it a competition (which I plan to totally dominate) but it is also a Nutrition class as well. I even found out tonight that we all get a "body analysis" consultation with our Weight Loss Coach. I'm excited to find out what she has to say about my body type and hear her suggestions. 

The first class was on the ultimate tool to weight loss: protein. I definitely knew that protein was an important aspect to a healthy diet, but I don't think I realized HOW important!

Did you know that women need an average of 75-100grams of protein a day? That can be hard to do when you don't focus on including protein packed snacks into your diet!

When you don't get enough protein in your diet, your body pulls it from your muscles. It starts with your heart...yikes! It can be really dangerous not to get enough protein in your diet, especially if you are exercising.

Protein helps in building lean muscle mass. This is crucial in losing and maintaining a weight loss. Did you know that more muscle mass equals higher metabolism and higher calorie burn?

According to what I learned tonight, 50% of our protein intake should come from meat, and 50% from a plant based food. 

So far, I'm finding my favorite sources of protein are hard boiled eggs, almonds, turkey sandwiches, and tuna!

What's your favorite protein packed snack?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

So true! I love almonds & tuna - i put both in my salads for lunch! I also am LEARNING to like eggs for breakfast. ;)

Amy said...

Excuse me, but it looks like I need to go eat my weight in beef and spinach. When I'm done, I'll come back to comment. ;)

Tiffany said...

I can't get enough good proteins and fats. Your faves are my faves too lol