Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Breastfeeding: My Journey

Today I wanted to cover a topic that I think actually has a lot to do with this whole weight loss world. Breastfeeding!

Now, when I was pregnant, I was obviously excited to have my baby and everything but breastfeeding became this amazing concept in my mind. I was going to be able to eat whatever I wanted after my baby and lose the pregnancy weight by having this tiny human being sucking it out of me! HA!

I kind of want to politely correct women who tell other pregnant mommas that they need not worry about the pregnancy weight because it will "come off as long as you nurse." For some women, this is totally true and I realize that. But for me, it just isn't enough.

Of course it's all about a calorie in, calorie out game. Breastfeeding is just another way in which your body burns calories. In that way, it's pretty stinkin cool, because there is not much physical effort involved. However, for a lot of mommas, (including myself) I think it tends to become an excuse in your mind to eat whatever you'd like because "nursing will burn it off anyway right?" and "the baby needs it!"

I remember when my sister in law was complaining about gaining so much during pregnancy and she said "but I know I need the fat stores for nursing." She is one of those natural skinny minis- so maybe she did need the extra fat stores. But maybe I should have remembered that she is she and I am I and my body had plenty of "love" to go around for this little one before he came about :)

Thus far, my baby is almost 6 months old and breastfeeding has not really cut it for me. I'm still up a significant amount of weight. I kind of shudder at the day that my baby boy weans and I am not just automatically burning those calories! Exactly why I'm starting now :)

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

For some (me being one) it takes a while to find the "sweet spot" calorie-wise, so you are getting enough to maintain your milk supply but losing weight at the same time. If you aren't counting calories, I suggest you start as that will give you the best idea of how your body works. This is my 3rd time through and I'm just getting it dialed in. No matter what, feeding little man is the most important. You can do this. Something else to try, eat oatmeal or drink Mother's Milk Tea daily to give your body an extra boost in the milk making department so you can cut back a bit more with the food without affecting your supply... Happy bf!

Mrs. S. said...

I was lucky to lose whilst nursing Owl......and promptly gained it back I stopped. It's SO different for everyone!