Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Line of Shame

I was a bad girl today. I got myself into a very sticky situation where I had a two and four year old in the back seat of my car (I'm a nanny) and snacks for both of them-but nothing for me. We were running around and doing our thing but I just got to a point where I was SO hungry. Now, if you are a mom (or a nanny for that matter) you know my pain- you can't just "drop" into the grocery store and grab a quick, healthy snack. No, the grocery store is like a whole big journey in and of itself. And I just didn't have the time- let alone the patience to put up with it and make a smart choice about my consumption of food. Call it an excuse if you will, but I decided on the dreaded drive through (que horror music now).

I could have made a reasonably better choice than a kids meal (cheeseburger and fries). I could have. And of course I'm kicking my butt for it now. But I'm just being honest here- who ACTUALLY goes to a drive thru (us "healthy eaters" know this kind of feels like "getting away with something bad") and orders a freakin' salad!?!? I mean, maybe if it wasn't for the fact that all their salads have the same amount of calories as a burger itself, I would consider it. But once you get in that line of shame, and the fry smell wafts through your open window, there is almost no chance of denying it. Is this why they say an alcoholic shouldn't step into a bar?

I'm going to blame the fact that we have no healthy drive thru option in this city. No fancy chic-a-fil (because I see your delicious looking grilled chicken breast sandwiches!), no drive through sandwich shop (do these exist??). Burger King. Mcdonalds. Taco Bell. Take your pick. Bleh.

I'm determined to burn off at least some of those french fries today with an evening run.

13 comments:

Patti said...

A taco bell hard taco fresco style is only 150 calories. I eat those when I am in a bind and have my toddler in the backseat. I totally get it NOT being convenient to "run in and grab something healthy". :)

WWSuzi said...

It's not always easy to eat healthy! But you do the best you can :)

:Deliciously Healthy said...

You were hungry, and you did what you had to do ;)! Learn from the experience, and try to do better next time. That's great that you're going to go on a run!!

Mrs. S. said...

It's hard. You'll burn them off & call it lesson learned.

As for yesterdays post-please keep challenging yourself. From a girl who was always fat, once skinny & fat again when she thought she never would be. Value your health. Your life only gets busier-make sure your body gets the attention it deserves-you'll thank yourself later.

Lucy said...

I've done the same thing..just this Saturday as a matter of fact! You do what you have to do! My two sense: better than starving.

Melissa said...

I had fast food today too. I was about to blog about it! I was so mad at myself! & i did not have the excuse of kids in the car! HAHA. I did go to the gym immediately after & do a harder workout than usual, though. But i thought i was DONE w/ fast food!!!

Guess what? I paid for it tonight - i sat on the toilet...for awhile...LOL.


But i think a kid's meal is actually 1000 better than, say, a #3 or something!! Way less cal!

& although we have a chic-fil-a, i cannot get those grilled sandwiches. I have to have their FRIED nuggets! AHHHH!

Lynn said...

Things happen. Just workout it off and drink lots of water to combat all that sodium.

Jessica - cbgblog said...

oh gosh. chic-fil-a waffles fries and honey mustard equals LOVE for me :) I used to be so bad.... I used to drive to chick-fia-a and get fries/mustard and coleslaw. Then drive half a block and get a burger king jr whopper. Sad... I know! But so delicious!

I hope you had a great workout!

Hungry For Living said...

I was bad too today! I have been try a new snack recipe and I keep eating the differnt trial runs! ahhhhhh

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like, if I'm already doing something bad, why try to be healthy? It IS ridiculous BUT I do it as well. And beat myself up for it. BUT, we will beat this monster! I'm slowly getting better about bringing snacks for me!

Mark said...

Who hasn't been there?! Once the smell of those burgers and fries gets you, it is game over.

A drive-thru sandwich bar is a great idea though. Do they have drive-thru Subways in the US?

Candace said...

I'm always thinking how great it would be to have a healthy restaurant drive through with big chunks of fruit cut up and stuff, expensive but so worth it.

Jessi said...

If unfortunate they don't have healthy drive-throughs. Then again, majority of the people wouldn't go there.

It's probably a bad thing that your comment about the smell of fries made me crave them, huh? <3