Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Crossroads

Well there is just not much to say these days about my healthy living journey. It just seems like I have really GOOD days and really BAD days just as often. I've pretty much been hovering at the same weight for around two months, which means I've been about 5 pounds away from losing a total of 40lbs and 10 pounds away from being a "healthy" BMI.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I no longer feel "overweight" and sometimes even consider if maybe this is just the weight that my body should be. I've heard it said that the lowest weight in your adult life is probably the lowest you will ever be...well I'm less than that! I think I weigh the same as I did when I was about 17 at the moment.

But in all reality- is a 12/14 pants size, and 10lbs higher than a healthy BMI ideal? You can see my confusion at this point: am I settling or being unrealistic?

One thing I know is that I'm proud of myself for the way I've changed my thinking. No longer do I slip into days, weeks, months, or even years of carelessly eating without honestly evaluating what it is that I'm consuming. I'm constantly thinking of ways to incorporate good for me foods into my diet. But not only that, I also tend to try to "balance" my days as well- like making sure to eat less carbs in the evening if I had a particularly carb heavy start to my day.

I no longer fear exercise, and in fact, embrace the chance to ENJOY being active whenever possible. I've definitely taking a step back from being a "regular"- which frustrates me-but at the same time, I really do think that breaking through that fear to start was the biggest hurtle to conquer.

So- I'm asking- what do you think? I know this is a dangerous question- and I'm prepared for a brutal answer. I just want to hear it straight up (ps, don't leave an anonymous comment, those I WON'T take into consideration).

I'm at a "crossroads"of sorts- continue to live "healthfully" and potentially choose to settle at this weight- or continue to attempt to "kick my butt" into more action- which could have excellent, effective results, or it could just frustrate me more!

9 comments:

kaitlin said...

One of the things that really surprised me when I started working with my trainer was that she told me my ideal body weight could be 165-170... even though I'm only 5'4". I just have a really muscular build. You may be at a healthy body weight. I would suggest going and getting a body fat analysis done. My trainer did mine at the gym, took all of 5 minutes.

If you do have more to lose, I would say mix it up. Look for new recipes, do new exercises, talk to everyone you can and see if they have suggestions!

Whether you end up losing more weight or not, you are still an inspiration to me. =)

Melissa said...

I actually do not think you are settling. AT ALL. 1, I think you look awesome. 2, 12/14 is the size Marilyn Monroe was & Marilyn Monroe was HOT. :) HAHA.

But really - i mean - it sounds like you're doing a lot RIGHT. Maybe you have bad days but you always go back to eating right. You always try to incorporate healthy foods. You still are working out...maybe not daily...but enough. Maybe this IS the size you are supposed to be.

If you keep pushing yourself to be a size 8 or whatever, then i would support you in that & think you're awesome too! But i wouldn't think any less of you if you didn't.

Also, i've been hearing a lot lately that to be 10 pounds overweight is actually proving to be HEALTHIER than weighing less than that. They said 10 pounds overweight. I don't remember why but i thought that was interesting. And i have been hearing it from several different good sources... something you might want to research.

HUGS!

Alexia said...

i'd say that you would know what you're comfortable with. do you want to be lighter? it's as simple as that.

how does your body feel? are you comfortable?

financecupcake said...

You know your body better than a generic BMI equation does. While such equations can be valuable tools, don't live and die by them.

Jessica - cbgblog said...

I hear you on the hovering at the weight for 2 months... I am right there with you. I am just a few pounds from getting to 40 pounds lost and can't quite make it there. Ugh (I'll say an ugh for you too.. DOUBLE UGH! *hah*)

I think you go until you feel good about yourself. Weather that is 15 pounds less from now, current or plus 10 pounds. Just be happy with you and don't just settle on what the numbers are supposed to be.

Dani said...

I've lst 40 pounds. I'm 10 pounds away from my goal. Sometimes I feel good, some times I feel like a failure because I just can NOT lose these last 10 pounds.

For now, I have to keep pushing. I have 6 months left before my wedding and I have to give it everything I've got. If I still haven't lost these last 10 pounds before my wedding, so be it. I've even started RUNNING----gross! ...I really hope it works. I don't want to feel like I failed.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I hate that statistic people try to be. Everyone has one. I even do. Mine is unrealistic for myself.

I want to be 130lbs (I'm 5'7) and in my head that is my goal and that's what I should be.

However, my body feels completely comfortable at 145lbs. I feel healthy, skinny, and satisfied. And for some reason I can never get passed that 145! I think that is just what I'm supposed to be.

It is all about how you feel about yourself. If you feel comfortable at the weight you are then I wouldn't push it. It sounds to me like you have achieved what you set out to do. You wanted to adopt a healthier lifestyle and you did.

BEE said...

ya sound like me
but im heavier

Candace said...

From all your pics you would think you were at your goal already and if you feel comfortable there that is key.