Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Healthy? PSHHH!

One thing I've really started to notice since attempting a "healthy" lifestyle is that "health" food and weight loss don't always coincide.

Example: Yesterday I was perusing my local health food supermarket and came across a great deal: pirate puffs (a sister of pirates booty)- an entire bag for just $1.69!! WOOHOO!

Now here's the problem people: are pirate puffs a healthy option to Cheetos? Well of course. Are they made from organic, natural ingredients? Yes. Do they have significantly less calories than many other processed snack foods available? You betcha.

But here's where my little brain made one mistake....

"oh, they are so healthy! I will just eat and enjoy and not worry about those pesky nutritional facts on the back! How bad could it possibly be? I'm only going to eat a little bit, right?"

Five Minutes Later...

"Well...I'm really hungry....so how about like...half the bag? It's not that much! It's mostly air anyway in this bag!"

One Hour Later...

"Well now that I'm halfway through....I might as well just finish them off. After all, I'm still hungry. And they are HEALTHY for heavens sake. And so delicious. Yes! "

15 Minutes After That...

"Oh. Uh Oh. I feel kinda sick. Couldn't be from those naturally organic and healthy ingredients. No way. It's a health food, gosh DARN IT."

*checks nutritional facts*

[Insert cursing myself here]

"welp. my day is blown."

And therefore I am reminded that with ALL food- "healthy" food options included- the key to weight loss is....

(drum roll please)

PORTION CONTROL.

Wait...what?

Yes....that's right, a 1970's weight watchers leaflet could have told me that!

So I hate to break your bubble, all you weight loss wannabe's (myself included!) but eating a pound of strawberries or bottomless bowl of raw almonds is just not gunna cut it.

Sad, isn't it?

8 comments:

Nora said...

Damn portion control. :)

Candace said...

Yeah I tried this back in the day with those low fat snackwell's-doesn't count if you eat all them-haha-

Kyle said...

Reminds me of my Too Much of a Good Thing post surrounding a dinner out for Sushi.

Despite all the good fish, fiber, and quality carbs, you can't stuffa yo face and expect the pounds to fall off.

And I also made the point with another blogger, that you can EAT CLEAN, but still eat too much clean food.

Sad? No...frustrating...yup, kinda.

Seth said...

What I end up doing is...

I pour my cereal in my bowl...

I finish eating cereal in my bowl...

I see that I have milk left...

I pour more cereal in bowl to make up for leftover milk...

I eat cereal in bowl until milk is gone...

I have leftover cereal - I proceed to put more milk in bowl......and the process continues

Melissa said...

HAHA - i SO feel ya on this one - the other day i stopped at the store for a few groceries - but i was starving - so i got a small bag of chips that were natural, organic, etc. i forget the brand but they were "olive oil, parmesan" & something else flavored.

OMG.

I ate the whole bag. & when is said small bag, i meant smaller than a bag of doritoes. But bigger than one of those individual bags!

& yep, i felt sick.

Anonymous said...

This is too funny! LOL.. and I've been there and done that. You are so right. Portion control is the key. I'm trying to get back in the groove of things with my portion control and weight lost. Wish me luck!

Alexia said...

girlfriend, i feel ya. today i managed to overeat grapes! crazy, huh?!

WWSuzi said...

Last time i ate a muffin and checked the health stats it was for half a muffin!! Who on earth eats just 1/2 a muffin???