I am just an ordinary girl with struggles and fears in this weight game. I am so humbled when people tell me that I have been a little bit of inspiration in their life or motivation to keep on track. I really have never felt like that to anyone before, and it really brings me joy to know that I can help someone, somewhere, who struggles just like I do.
It has come to my attention of the past couple of months that I am truly an addict to food. Before November, I lived with my life with a "I want it, I eat it" attitude- and ended up facing the scale at 45lbs overweight for a girl of 5'6." As I've embarked upon this journey I've started to learn that I'm not alone. I'm not the alone one that would secretly eat sweets and junk and hides them from others. I'm not the only one that thought about lunch while eating dinner, or ate like I would never consume anything again.
But here's another thing I've discovered: it's not just food addicts that I'm bonding with. I'm starting to realize that in everyone lives these kinds of insecurities and downfalls- be it food, alcohol, or whatever addiction lives in their lives. I have felt a strong connection to these people and feel that I've stepped onto a deeper level into my life by connecting with theirs in this weird, strange way of relating.
Addiction can control our lives- if we let it. But there is a chance every single day to say no to that thought that tells us we MUST give in. That thought that we just can't do this....because the fact is...we CAN. We can be stronger than those demons in our head. We can focus on our strength and our power.
I don't want addiction to rule my life. I don't want food to come in between myself and my happiness.
I want to believe I did the best I could do for me, today. Only today. And then I can start again tomorrow.
It has come to my attention of the past couple of months that I am truly an addict to food. Before November, I lived with my life with a "I want it, I eat it" attitude- and ended up facing the scale at 45lbs overweight for a girl of 5'6." As I've embarked upon this journey I've started to learn that I'm not alone. I'm not the alone one that would secretly eat sweets and junk and hides them from others. I'm not the only one that thought about lunch while eating dinner, or ate like I would never consume anything again.
But here's another thing I've discovered: it's not just food addicts that I'm bonding with. I'm starting to realize that in everyone lives these kinds of insecurities and downfalls- be it food, alcohol, or whatever addiction lives in their lives. I have felt a strong connection to these people and feel that I've stepped onto a deeper level into my life by connecting with theirs in this weird, strange way of relating.
Addiction can control our lives- if we let it. But there is a chance every single day to say no to that thought that tells us we MUST give in. That thought that we just can't do this....because the fact is...we CAN. We can be stronger than those demons in our head. We can focus on our strength and our power.
I don't want addiction to rule my life. I don't want food to come in between myself and my happiness.
I want to believe I did the best I could do for me, today. Only today. And then I can start again tomorrow.
10 comments:
Just wanted to say that I really like this post
Awesomely stated...you and I are of like minds on this subject of addiction and of keeping the focus to moment by moment victories over addiction.
The only think I'll add is this...some people make a bad choice so quickly they THINK it is subconscious...that they THINK they have no control...that they THINK the addiction is stronger.
In my humble opinion...THINK AGAIN... no matter how fleeting...you know you always have a choice.
You know how I always knew I had a choice? The feeling of guilt and remorse I felt immediately after executing that bad choice. That can only come from knowing that you could have chosen something different.
Another great post.
I too am a food addict. (Mainly with sugar... but definitely in general as well.)
A great book is Food and Love by Gary Smalley. Also Lose it for Life by Steve Arterburn. (Because I have a book to recommend for everything. :)) Both talk about WHY we eat and make us deal with those things. Tough stuff.
I agree with K, I really like this post too=)
wow! this is a super great post! good read for sure!
Uh huh. I'm trying to think of everything as daily. And not put everything in perspective. You know, the big picture. Yes that's important, too. But it helps me to really consider my choices minute by minute. As in micro NOT macro. XO. Macro gets overwhelming sometimes.
Well said!!
PS. I just found your blog today and I already love it! :)
I think most of us here are and we all really need to strive to make food a healthy part of our lives not something to be avoided.
Hi Nicole,
I just wanted to let you know I've given you a Beautiful Blogger award on my blog!
www.cornwallfitgirl.blogspot.com
Rach
x
You are such a great writer and this post totally had me nodding my head.
Have you read WOMEN FOOD & GOD?
Im really enjoying it so far.
MizFit
Post a Comment