Oh goodness guys. So sorry to have been majorly MIA lately. I'm sure most of you can kind of understand if you read my last post. Life is really stressful right now.
I ended up going to Bastyr University on Friday for a campus tour and to talk with an advisor about the possibility of me enrolling in the fall. The verdict? Not a chance :( I have a couple of more classes I would need to get done as prereq's, and since Bastyr is a cohert program, I wouldn't be able to get them done in time to start in the fall 2010 cohert.
Oh and I won't even mention the cost of this university. It might make you grimace a little (ok, well I did). Anyway, apparently Kellen and I make too much money to get any kind of grant from the government. Apparently you have to be below the poverty line to get help with your education around here (sorry, I am quite a bit bitter at the moment). Either that, or we have to have kids. Yup- having kids will actually give me cheap school...apparently...
All that being said, I'm bummed. As I took the tour I was actually "skipping" (according to Kellen). He described me as looking like I was skipping from excitement like I was on the movie The Wizard of Oz! Hahaha!
I WAS excited. This place is really stinkin cool. I will show you a few pics I
snapped:
This is the front entrance to the school...pretty cool huh?
The courtyard at the school. The school is actually SUPER small- like only 250 students! When I heard this I was AMAZED- there would only be 35 students in the program I would be enrolling in. Talk about getting close and personal?
The "herb" room. Ok- get this- for 2 bucks a month you can come in here and just take anything you want. Think of the possibilities! The girl that gave the tour said she
has had a blast making her own lotions and soaps and such from here. FUN!
This is the kitchen classroom. I guess I should mention that the major I am thinking of doing is Nutrition with an emphasis on Culinary Arts. They have classes like "cooking for wellness"! This was my favorite part of the tour by far!
Now....check out the schools all natural organic garden! SO cool. And another place that you can "help yourself" to what you need.

Some of the plants were even labeled by the part of the body they would help:
Another thing I didn't get a picture of is the vegetarian cafeteria. Over each food there is a label stating exactly what kind of ingredients are in each dish, including which produce is organic. I had a veggie burger and over cooked fries for lunch. Yum!
Needless to say....it has quickly become a dream that I have not given up. I intend to take this next year to catch up on my prereq's, get our finances in order, and hopefully enroll in the Fall of 2011. We will see!
Weigh in News: I gained .5 a lb. I have nothing else to say except that I just didn't have the time, emotional, and physical effort to focus on weight loss this week. That's ok. It's a new week!
11 comments:
That program sounds amazing and perfect for you! And I can't believe the wonderful garden and herb room!!!! It's awesome you're taking a positive attitude and still going to pursue it, even if it's not the timeline you wanted. You go girl!!
It looks fabulous! Keep moving forward to the goal...
That school sounds amaze. I'm considering a small program for my MFA in Creative Writing. I think that paying lots of money for tuition makes sense if you're becoming a lawyer or a doctor. But otherwise...
Can't FAFSA help? Don't give up yet!
That place sounds like a little piece of heaven on Earth. I know you'll get there eventually!
Isn't financial aid insane? I'm right there with you. I make too much for help and if I had a baby I would get help but have absolutely no time to get the work done..*sigh*
However the school looks awesome and I know that one way or another you'll make your dream come true!
Wow...that is very exciting! You'll make it happen...no doubt.
Government aid is just ridiculous. That's a bummer, but you know what? If that's what God wants you to do, He'll provide the means and the way to get there. I'll be praying for you! :)
Eh, 1/2 a pound...psh. You've lost so much! I'm so proud of you! So don't get down on yourself. Keep looking toward your goal!
Sorry that school won't work out for you right now. It's great that seeing campus has confirmed your desire to follow that path though and now you know what you need to do to make it a reality for next year! Great goal!!
What a unique university. Maybe it will be worth waiting and saving for if you think you'll really like it.
That is a neat entrance.
Nicole! It's amazing! I think i wanna go there now. HAHA. jk. But it's right up your alley! & i love the herb room & garden! CRAZY! But cool!
So excited for you! Fall of 2011 will be here before you know it. And i know you'll work hard to make it happen. :)
Nicole The school looks amazing. Keep pushing forward. Your dream will come true. Keep being positive. 2011 is just around the corner. I know you will make it happen. :)
Post a Comment