Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Alive but not really kickin'

Yes I'm alive!

For some reason this blogging thing is really getting hard lately! This past week has been quite weird.

So I told you all a couple of weeks ago that I am going off birth control (not for baby purposes, for health purposes). I have done a lot of research about the potential damage of bc and what it could be doing to my body, and I decided- its just not worth it.

You know how you gain weight when you first go on bc? Well guess what people?!?! Isn't it lovely that birth control gives you the little parting gift of extra weight when you go off of it as well? Oh, not only that- but I am crying and literally EVERYTHING. I kind of freaked out at first because it seemed like I was experiencing pregnancy symptoms. But then I did some research and talked with some people who have gone through similar things. There are major side effects to going off birth control and that in itself scares me and makes me thankful that I've made this decision.

Needless to say, I was a bit upset with my weight on Monday morning for weigh in day. So upset in fact, I decided to take a "pass" day on weighing in on my blog and see how my weight will be this next monday. I've been weighing in everyday and it's steadily going back down, so that's good!

Since Monday things with eating have been fairly good. Although I haven't tracked in quite sometime, I've been eating my normal meals which means I know that my calories are in control.

Exercise, however, is just one major flop. Here's the thing: I am TIRED of running/walking. I've been basically doing only that for exercise for 6 months now and I'm just so bored. I know I need to mix it up. I'm checking out some local gyms and trying to find an affordable option to get me moving again.




15 comments:

Whitney said...

Ugh, that sounds horrible - I hope you feel better soon! It's crazy how much BC can mess with our emotions - probably another sign that you are right in choosing to go off it!

Maybe you can find some fun exercise classes to join!

Paul and Whitney Rohrbaugh said...

I got the same way with my exercise routine. I was doing the elliptical for 4 months and got soooooo bored with it. At the beginning of May I started the C25K program and am loving running/walking right now. Maybe you could start strength training now.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I know exactly how you feel about exercising. Working out isn't something I enjoy. It never has been. But I just do it because I like the results.

I used to run/walk a lot and did some weight lifting. All of that was boring to me. I did start going to some classes at the gym and that helped A LOT.

Maybe you can try something like that?

liveLAUGHsing. said...

did you ever get the DVD i sent you????

Unknown said...

After 3 kids, I am on Mirena, and I have the face of a teenager. The zits are so bad. The body aches and emotional self is so bad during the time of the month is so not worth it. But I won't go off of it anytime soon. I'm just sticking it out. I congratulate you for eliminating hormones your body does not need or deserve.

As far as your exercise, I like Yoga or Pilates. You may be able to find some good deals to check out studios. Yoga is really great and studios have good packages for trying out. I'd hit a few of them to get those deals rotating. It just splits up the monotony.

Christine said...

Hopefully your body adjusts to the change you have made sooner than later. I will be thinking of you!

If you have not tried 30 Day Shred or Biggest Loser Bootcamp they are both good. Just another idea!

misssarahlou said...

Hmmm maybe thats whats been going on with my weight for the past month, I also decided to come of birth control and my weigh ins have been all over the place even though my eating hasnt.

Hopefully it will be better next week.

Audrey said...

It's hard to work out when you get into that boredom slump. You have the right idea in mixing it up. I use a rotation on what machines I use because spending 30 minues on one machine 7 days a week plain out sucks and gets REALLY boring. Do you listen to music while you work out? Is it the same play list over and over and over? Try mixing that up to. You never it might help!

Patti said...

Glad to hear from you, been wondering how you're doing! So sorry you're going through so much with getting off the Pill. The body reacts in such odd ways sometimes but ultimately it will get back on track. I have major hormonal mood swings sometimes and I've been off the pill for over 5 years. It comes with the territory of being a woman, UGH.

Hope you can find some new creative ways to work out!! Maybe find a walking/running group to join? Get some socialization in with excercise? :)

Melissa said...

OH gosh, it is so tough being a WOMAN! LOL. When i got on bc i cried ALL THE TIME, it was terrible! I get scared thinking of getting off it. Of course i will have to eventually anyway! I'm sorry girl. I hope you feel better soon!

Candace said...

Hope you find something soon to spice up the exercising!~

Laura said...

Good decision on the birth control. :) Sorry it's been tough getting off of it though. Hope your body sorts itself out quickly!!

Also... with the exercise... I did aerobics for the longest time at the gym and I enjoyed it. My goal for exercise was to lose weight. I had a number in mind. As soon as I hit that goal number I found that I got super bored with aerobics and lost my motivation to exercise. Having a new goal turned things around. (Also having a friend to meet at the gym helps a TON.) So maybe you need a new goal for exercise... maybe to swim, or to bike or hike a mountain or join a gym and see what they have. (Because you know... you reached your running goal... that's what has me telling you my story. Just in case it is the issue of the goal being gone that has caused the boredom of running.)

Mrs. S. said...

You inspired me to take a second look at my BC pill as well. See you are inspiring us in all kinds of ways!

You mention once about swimming-is that something you could work into your budget?

liveLAUGHsing. said...

haha i just wanted to know if i had to go yell at the post office! hahaha :)

Alexia said...

Nicole, I really appreciated your comment on my blog about the birth control. I responded but I wasn't sure if you saw it, so I just wanted to thank you again. Be well, friend.