Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Insecurities of a "Big" Girl

I'm currently reading The Amazing Adventures of DietGirl by Shauna Reid. Shauna is a weight loss blogger who lost a total of about 175lbs and wrote a book about this "adventure." If you haven't read this book, I would HIGHLY suggest you pick it up- it is SO hilarious.

There is one point at which Shauna describes that when she was a kid she never wanted to jump into the pool, to fearful to create a bigger splash than anyone else. The funny thing is, she was actually quite a normal sized kid- and let's face it- really no one would have probably had that thought.

But as I was reading that, I had an odd sense of relating to Shauna- I too had that pool jumping fear. I started thinking about all the other times I felt "insecure" about myself or thought that others must be thinking I was the fat girl- when really maybe those thoughts never crossed their minds. Some of mine included:

-Getting out of a pool/lake that you have to pull yourself out of with no ladder. Anyone ever experience this? You literally have to pull your body up and fling yourself out onto the dock/side of pool. In my mind I always looked like a large beached whale ungracefully emerging onto the side. This also goes for trying to get into boats when swimming at the ocean or a lake.

-How about the time I ate my little cousin's "It's a Girl" chocolate bar? You know those stupid hershey bar covers they make with the birthing announcement on it? I got mine and tore into that baby (no pun intended) right away. When my uncle found out I had already devoured the chocolate bar, he yelled at me. Well...it's chocolate...what did you expect me to do with it?

-The fact that my favorite part of going to the roller skating rink was the snack bar. I remember one time where my aunt (she used to take us) asked me why I always just sat and ate and rarely skated. Yeah, I felt pretty low that day.

-Hating when people tried to pick me up. It was like I thought that if they picked me up they might just realize how heavy I really was. Same goes for making pyramids with friends at school- I always insisted on being at the bottom with the boys.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there are so many more big girl insecurities in my life that I can't remember.

*The point of this post is not to make anyone feel bad about there size, but just to say that we all had these funny insecure thoughts inside our heads. I felt a sense of comfort in relating to Shauna's insecurity in knowing that I'm not the only one who ever thought that way.


10 comments:

Julia said...

This book is sitting on the couch behind me. . . I have been so busy with school that I haven't had a chance to read it.

There, I just opened it and now I need to sign off - time for some reading!

Thanks for the inspiration and motivation!

:)

Julia
http://jewliagoulia.blogspot.com

kimert said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! I need a new book.

Gabi said...

I will definitely have to check that book out. Thanks.
I have had way too many of those fat fear moments. If you really think about it, my fat fear has been holding me back almost my whole life. Sads.

Paul and Whitney Rohrbaugh said...

OMG...I totally had the same insecurity about jumping in the pool. How silly is that?! I also shared with you not liking to be picked up or being on the bottom of the pyramid. It's just crazy what goes thru the minds of little girls.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I used to have my sister get out of the pool and put my towel right next to the stairs... Then I'd flop myself onto the pool deck and throw my towel over myself. It's sad that I used to be that way because I really wasn't heavy... Maybe a little chubby but nothing to be that silly over!

Tricia said...

thanks for the book recommendation

Sunshine Mama said...

I think that the pool insecurities have more to do with the fact that we are suddenly half naked...in public. Ha, Ha. If you look at it like that...then your insecurities seem more natural.

I got caught up on you....good job on your weight loss. Almost 40 pounds down that is great!

Lynn said...

I have never been "fat" or anything.. I was actually always the skinniest around my friends. But to this day I will NOT wear a bikini without boardshorts to cover my thighs. I'm hoping to change that after this pregnancy.

imelda@etchetera etchetera said...

I admire you for losing 35 pounds.. I think I lost that much already from all the diets I tried.... (losing 5 .. gaining 5...) my weight yo-yoing....
I have always been a bit chubby. *groan* wish I could do all the losing in a full increment... like what you did. Since I live in asia, -where people are tiny.... I am considered "big" (I am a size 10 in US terms but a size L or XL in asian sizes). Being busy with work is not helping my meal plan too.

Kari said...

I can relate to many of the insecurities you listed here. Thanks for being so open about it all. We all probably look waaay better than we give ourselves credit for. :)