One thing I've started to see as I see my friends and family members are starting to have children and starting families is the way in which moms so easily "lose themselves." It's like they were this person with all these interests in life, dreams, aspirations and well...personalities. And then they have children and all of the sudden all of that goes out the window and they become "blah's mom" and no longer an actual person themselves. This is kinda sad to me.
I mean, don't get me wrong, there is nothing in my mind that doubts that my children will be my number one priority in my life (other than God). I will love them immensely and they will know this. But I also don't plan on giving up Nicole, and becoming just someone's mom. Just like when I got married....I'm not just Kellen's wife: I am Nicole, and I am ever changing and ever working on me as a person.
This will be a constant thought in the next 6 months as I prepare for baby number one. What will this look like for Kellen and I? How will we help each other out to not let who WE are fade away (not to mention our marriage!).
I have to give a shout out to my friend Laura over at Life Happens. She has written two different posts on this subject, and she really says it how it is. I'm going to quote her posts below but please, if you are interested, go and check her out and follow her- she is so raw, honest, and refreshing.
From Laura's Blog:
"I've seen this a few times on facebook this week as people's status...
I traded eyeliner for dark circles, salon hair cuts for ponytails, long showers for hairy legs, late nights for early mornings, designer purses for diaper bags, nice dinners for McDonald's and I wouldn't trade a thing!! With Mother's day drawing near lets see how many Mom's repost this!
Of course this has been changed as it's gone through people and you see things like...
"Mom's don't care what we have to give up for our kids."
and
"I would give everything up for my kids without a second thought."
Ugh.
I DO CARE. And no I won't give up everything. I am a person. I have a name. I don't want to be known as Liza and Jason's mom. I am LAURA! Yes I am their mom but I am still an individual and I have things that I am not giving up. And I don't think anything is wrong with that.
Sure I might have to put a few things on hold. I know I can't do my hobbies as often as I would like. BUT... I need to keep my heart alive because some day my kids will move out and I will need to know who I am because people will no longer be calling me Liza and Jason's mommy all the time and instead they are going to want to know who Laura is.
Don't throw yourself and your dreams out the window when you have kids. Find a way to BE YOU while being a mom.
Kids are being raised these days to think they are the center of everything and the world revolves around them. This is not healthy! It's alright to have your kids sit in their bed for ten minutes and read books so you can shave your legs. It's ok to put on a video for a little while if you want to fix your hair and put on makeup. These things don't make you a bad mom... in fact they just might make you a BETTER mom (now there's a thought!) because you took time to make yourself feel better.
I know. I'm radical like that.
But you know that saying "if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy"... I believe there is quite a bit of truth to that.
So... it's ok to change over the years. But please do not give up who you are because the world needs YOU!"
The other post of hers I loved can be found here:
Check her out, she's a wise one :)
8 comments:
I LOVE this- I have often thought about only having 1 child just because I don't want to lose myself- and then thought "How selfish!" As with everything, it's all about balance.
So excited for you- you are going to be a great mom and a GREAT Nicole all at the same time :)
Yeah Cole and I discuss this all the time. Often when I read posts on ww online the persons user name will be owen's mom or whatever. Not this one-I'll be me to the end-haha. Its okay to give to your kids but not til you are empty-so crazy~
Awww... such nice things you said. :) Made me feel good and I needed it because I have PMS and am photographing a wedding reception this afternoon and the bride never called me back so we could be on the same page. Ugh. (It's my husband's cousin.)
Anyways... You said something else that made me all "Oh. I just might have to write about that!" You said your kids will be your first priority other than God of course. Well I've come to realize that if I put my kids above my husband that that doesn't work so well either. Hmmm... thinking about how to write about this. :)
i love this too! I will need to be reminded when i get prego! & as my kids are growing up too. i can't wait to have kids - but i want to stay "melissa". laura truly is a woman of wisdom. i love it.
nicole, i can't wait to see the bebe!! & i have no doubt that you & kellen will be great parents. HUGS!
what a great topic to post about -thanks for sharing!
A great post and so timely too. I have been feeling so down about not doing anything for me, or being me because of the baby's demands. I have let a lot of stuff go by the wayside, like Laura mentioned in her post, and I want to get some of that back.
This is one of many reasons why I am not a stay at home mommy. At work, I have my own identity and it keeps me a little bit sane.
Definitely true. I get annoyed when my friends stop showering on a regular basis because "their baby won't stop crying." Um seriously? Put the kid down and shave your legs...
YES!!! I think there is some sort of martyrdom epidemic going around, and it's not fair to anyone!
Post a Comment