What a beautiful and sunny fall afternoon here in the Pacific Northwest. I decided to get out a bit today and take advantage of the rare sun and doing some digging. Digging for worms, that is!
Ok, you may think I'm joking, but I'm really not. I actually needed these little fellas for my brand new compost bin I started in the backyard. Worms are a really great way to break down your compost faster and more efficiently.
I never really thought of myself as the "tree hugger" or "green" type. I like the idea of recycling, but to me, all it really is is tossing a bottle or a newspaper in a can and shutting the lid.
But with this whole composting thing....it's kinda fun! Yes, you still really only toss stuff in a can- but you get to see the results! And, if you are daring enough, even benefit from them! I'm pretty proud of my compost "bin" actually. While your local hardware store might sell a nice and pretty one for 100 bucks, I made mine for under 25 using a 32oz garbage bin, a drill with a big huge bit (hubby helped with this part), some mesh screen for windows, and some duct tape. Pretty handy!
Now if you have followed me for long enough you will know I "attempted" my first garden last spring until my horribly behaved yet adorable husky demolished it. Well I can't really blame all the failure on the dog. Apparently the soil surrounding my house was not really the greatest and most healthy soil on the planet.I'm pretty sure that even if the pup had not destroyed it, the veggies probably wouldn't have done so well in that stuff anyway.
BUT! I am not defeated! I WILL grow and maintain my own veggie garden someday. And I'm hoping this compost will help!
Baby News:
We heard the heartbeat friday!! It was so thrilling. The midwife found it right away, which pretty much melted all fears away of possibly not finding it and having to make a return trip. Kellen was there with me- this made it SO special. He said it sounded like a "locomotive" and when the midwife said the "squishing" noises was our baby swimming, he was smiling from ear to ear. What a melt your heart moment.
Honestly, I'm in awe. My belly is barely protruding past my pants line (no one can tell yet but me), and I have a plum sized baby in my belly doing the disco! (ok, so maybe not the disco, but kellen and I decided it would be fun to pretend its dancing in there). It's crazy!
As far as preparation, I am OVERJOYED from a little brown package I got in the mail today from Laura at Life Happens. You guys have probably already heard me rant and rave about her, but seriously, she's awesome. And she sent me a present!!

"On Becoming Baby Wise"
I am so stoked to start reading this right away. I see so many of my friends having honestly horrible schedules with their kids and to be honest it frightens me. I want adult time! I want my baby/toddler/child to have a routine! Maybe you're thinking "well good luck with that!"....well then, I wonder if you've read and followed the book? And if so...please don't rain on my parade! :)
I'll leave you all with a little picture my mom took this weekend. 11 weeks...just a bit chunky or is there a baby in there??!?

you decide! ;)
PS- don't I have the prettiest momma ever?

11 comments:
Awesome! Pardon the fact that it is a used copy. :) I pick them up every time I see them so I can keep passing them around. The book saved my life so I figure it can save others as well haha. Hope you find it helpful!
i better get a babywise when i get preggo! Haha jk. I plan to get one no matter what! I've heard so much good about this book!! & i have worked for families (as a nanny) that followed Baby-wise & rave about it! Good stuff!
You do have a cute mama & i love your prego pic! :)
Worms huh...I may need to go get some. Our compost is not breaking down very quickly. Thanks for the tip.
I love the baby belly! I too LOVE that first time of hearing the heart beat,it makes it so real.
I have never heard of this book...interesting after 6 babies that I have never been told about it.
Love your baby belly!! Thanks for sharing!!
I say you totally look preggo! ;) Love the belly pic. Interested to see how you like that book!
Cute belly and super cute Mom~
Nicole you are cute as can be! I tried to start a compose pile in my backyard, but my neighbor rained on my parade and told me it was attracting racoons. Oh the joys of living in the city and pretending to have a back yard :(
You guys are so cute!
I need a little more info on the compost bin; did you buy a metal can? Did you make it up as you went along, or did you get directions somewhere?
Do tell!
I see that bump! Listen-you can & will make a routine that works for you. I have a great routine and it was super easy to get into. Even baby #2 slid perfectly in when he came along. You'll be great!!
I read Babywise and took a lot of their advice with a grain of salt. I think that each child is different and so is each parent so it can take a bit to find your groove. Emersyn was never on a really "strict" schedule, but that's because our lifestyle didn't require that. I think she's a really chill, laid back kid now and I think a lot of that is because I wasn't too "worried" about her adhereing to anything strict. I also technically "nursed on demand" but that was usually every 2-2 1/2 hours.
Just like all parenting books, they all need to be read with the intent to be the best mama possible and find what works best for YOU!
I'd love to send you the book that really really helped me with Emersyn's first year of life. I think it will be a blessing to you. Could you email me your address? pattijensen@gmail.com :)
Babywise is a good book - we used "Growing Kids God's Way" by the Ezzos when our kids were little. VERY helpful, although you do have to be careful b/c it can go a tad (?) overboard...use wisdom.
Love the baby bulge. I don't have baby bulge pics :( - pre-digital cameras and pre- taking pics of every moment in life! But it would be nice to have some now...I do have ultrasound videos & pics...great to have. Exciting times!
D
Post a Comment