Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

My Money Soapbox

Something that's really getting under my skin lately is money stuff. Just trying to figure out how to get the income up before this little one arrives so we can afford the medical bills that come along with it. Why is it so expensive to birth a child in this country? Honestly, I am not a political person. But I have to say it really PISSES me off that I can go to the Emergency Room for 45 minutes and get a $500.00 bill, or that doing something as natural as having a child will cost me well over $3,000 WITH INSURANCE. It's absolutely ridiculous.

And while we are on that subject, why the HECK does higher education in this country cost so much? I just don't get it. Honestly, how can you raise your children for 18 years drilling them that the only way to succeed in this country is to have a college degree- and then turn around and charge them thousands of dollars for it?

What is the point?!?!! WHAT IS THE POINT!! Why should I spend my whole first 18 years of life to get into college, and then spend the REST of my life paying it off?!!? Oh, and by the way, when you want to expand your family and enrich your life, we're going to charge you ridiculous amounts for that too!

I so want to be able to tell my kid to just do his best in school, maybe take some time off to travel after high school, MAYBE get an education (in something that he REALLY KNOWS he wants to do, no rush) and then settle down. But honestly I just feel like in America today that advice pretty much sets him up for disaster. Sad, but true.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Good complaints! I completely agree. Life is getting a bit ridiculous.

(My insurance deductible is $5,200. What's the point right?)

LauraLynne said...

*treading lightly*

you probably make too much money - if you're broke, the gov't will pay for it!

don't even get me started...

Amber said...

Uh...yeah. I'm right there with you. And why is it that (like LauraLynne said) the broke people get everything free??? Ridiculous, I tell you!

Melissa said...

Totally agree - with all of it - it's insane! I owe 5k for a college degree i didn't get! I couldn't get a grant b/c i made too much money. I'm like REALLY? I made freaking 8/hour at the time!!!!

Kinda freaking about the baby stuff though. I looked into it awhile back & it seems like my plan wasn't too bad...but now i forgot what it was... i don't remember what the deductible was either. ACK!