Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Inside My Head

So I had this random idea the other day that I would write down thoughts that came inside my head to share with you all on my blog. No requirements whatsoever. Some of them are really strange and random, some questions, some opinions, some negative, some happy. It's actually been quite fun and I think I might make it a regular addition to my  blog. So here we go with random thoughts from Nicole...round 1!

1. Why is eating out with a group of women always so awkward? 

So maybe these women look like they are having a blast. And realistically it usually is fun getting together with a bunch of girlfriends and having a nice meal. But I definitely think there are really awkward elements too. First of all, why is it that whenever the waiter brings the bread basket, it's always extremely awkward to see who takes the first piece? I could be totally and completely starving and wanting bread, but it always seems like once it is delivered it is customary to torture yourself for a good 5 minutes before indulging. Apparently this conveys a sense of healthiness and self control? Secondly, why do women mostly order salads when they are out with other women? It's like, if they are with their spouse or something, they of course get the hamburger and fries- but since they are with other women again- you must seem in "control" of your eating? Thirdly, does anyone else tend to watch how much the other person is eating? You certainly don't want to clean your plate if the other person in only going to eat half. 

Ok, so maybe these are just things I think about in my OWN head- but still- the patterns to which I see these things happen when women eat together astonish me! For once I want to see a large group of women dive into the free bread basket, order their weight in spaghetti or french fries, clean their plates, and finish off with dessert. OK, I know I am the ultimate bad healthy food blogger for condoning this behavior...but it's the freedom of self conscious thoughts I am aiming at here, people!

2. Why are on the label recipes always best? 
Again, maybe this is only my experience. But honestly, it seems like EVERY time I use a label recipe it works out perfectly. Not to mention it is so, so simple. Why is it so hard to find simple recipes online and in recipe books? Sometimes I just want PLAIN OL' chocolate chip cookies- not something fancy shmancy! 

3. Why do old people like to talk about their symptoms?

Have you ever had an experience where you are out in public, sitting near an old couple, and they are discussing their bodily functions or current health symptoms? Well, I have. And I find it rather amusing because, well, most of the time they are kind of gross, and they talk rather loudly (as to hear the other person). Most of the time it is a wife yelling loudly to a husband that doesn't say much. I start to wonder what he is thinking- is he embarrassed that his wife is discussing this topic and such a loud noise level in public? My guess is probably not. By that age, I don't think people really get embarrassed much. Or maybe he is just can't really hear her at all and he's imagining what she's saying? Either way, it really makes me giggle. 


4. Wearing leggings does not give you an excuse to wear an unusually short skirt/dress. 
While I DO appreciate the fact that you are wearing leggings underneath your skirt in general, (seriously, thank you!), I still hate to inform you that it's really just not that appropriate to think that leggings equals an excuse to wear a mini that shows off your tush. I personally don't really want to see something that is so skin tight I can see the shape of your bottom, unless perhaps it is a bathing suit. So please, choose an appropriate length for your skirts and dresses, even if you do decided to cover up with leggings. Thank you.

5. I really like coming home to a clean house after a trip somewhere. (No this is not my house, but it's adorable!) I bet I couldn't find many of you that would disagree with me on this one. Coming home to a clean home just feels so...welcoming. Unfortunately, this means that on top of packing and other "trip" preparations, you must also bust your butt cleaning it before you go. But oh, it's so worth it when you finally return!



Well, that's it for now of the first round of getting inside my head. Stay tuned for more next week (or whenever I gather enough random thoughts!). 



8 comments:

Paul and Whitney Rohrbaugh said...

I couldn't agree more with #5. DH always gives me a hard time about this, but he just doesn't understand that when I come home from a trip that the last thing I want to think about is cleaning up a messy kitchen. He's slowly learning this, but I wonder if he's not so much learning as to not saying anything anymore. Haha!!

Anonymous said...

You should come eat dinner with me and my friends! haha Just the other night we went to a chinese restaurant and ate heaping portions, then walked down to the ice cream shop and got ice cream. We have no fear...and no self control apparently! haha.

And I always clean my house before I go somewhere as well :)

Amber said...

The thing about women eating together is hilarious! I'm pretty sure I never do that...so I must be the worst-mannered woman ever! We'll go get lunch sometime after I'm not working anymore, and we'll order whatever we want and pig out. We're pregnant and eating for two anyway!! :D

Melissa said...

I am the same way about cleaning my house before a trip! & ohhhh i love that kitchen!

Your #1 is definitely not how all girls are when they go out to eat! Sometimes i get a salad, but it's b/c i want one & i always eat too much bread! I don't even care who gets bread first or who eats to much. NOW - to be perfectly honest - of course i have been jealous inside my head when skinny girls pigout but that is mainly when i'm going thru a rough time w/ weightloss haha. Last time i went to dinner w/ girlfriends, i got blackened chicken, steamed veggies & smashed potatoes. Which would have been healthy if it wasn't for the potatoes (which were smashed with cheese)! One of my friends got a cheeseburger & fries! And i forgot what the other girl got. But we all dug in on the chips & queso! :)

That is not to say that i don't know at all what you are talking about - there have been times i've eaten w/ girls who have excellent figures & who i'm afraid will judge me depending on what i eat. I'm more careful when i eat w/ them to be honest. But those are not the friends i eat w/ most often! Most of my girlfriends i get whatever i want!

The old people one cracked me up! :)

Melissa said...

Ohhh & you are right about the leggings!!!! I noticed that last Friday when i worked at the manship. This woman had on the SHORTEST skirt w/ her leggings. I'm pretty sure she would NOT be wearing that w/o leggings (thank God) but i kinda think a good rule of thumb would be - if you wouldn't wear it w/o leggings than you shouldn't wear them WITH! As far as coverage, i mean.

I have only tried ONE cookie recipe that was on the side of a butter thing... they were awesome! May have to try some more label recipes!

Tiff said...

Hey giiirrrrrrl!

I've been chillin for a little while laying off the blogging but I just wanted to pop in and say hi, that you look super cute with your baby bump, and that I really MISS you :( Hopefully I begin feeling up to blogging again soon, but until then I'll still be reading regularly. :)

Laura said...

hahaha. You would enjoy eating out with me because i will be the first to dive into the bread basket, order a massive meal and then eat the entire thing. I don't care what the others do. :)

I just spent the past three months in a Bible study with older women... much older than me... and they definitely talk about their symptoms. It's cute though and they are so funny about it!

Amen on the leggings!

Anonymous said...

Don't take the whole leggings with short skirts thing too offensively, its just whats in fashion. Jeans show off the "shape of your butt" just as much as a pair of leggings do. Since the leggings are covering up her butt, then it really shouldn't matter if she is wearing a short skirt or dress.

In my opinion, if the girl has her ass covered by leggings, then it really shouldn't be considered *inappropriate*.